Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help identifying a sump pump configuration
Author: Roscoe66 (WY)

Hello, I need help in identifying a sump pump configuration and operation/purpose. I will attempt to attach a photo and or explain the best I can. I am definitely familiar with the normal operation of a sump pump. This on is however plumbed to the exterior of a home I am in the process of purchasing. Most of the parts are Zoeller part 503. There is an additional float set up with water plumbed into it. And Hot water to boot. This is all located in the sump area by the washing machine. I have a great picture of the set up, but am having troubles attaching it. Any help would be appreciated. TIA, Ross

Edited 1 times.

Re: Help identifying a sump pump configuration
Author: steve (CA)

It's a water powered back-up.
[www.youtube.com]

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Hot water to a water back up pump? Strange. It may shorten the life of the pump, and it would definitely run you out of hot water if the back up pump ever kicks on.

Author: packy (MA)

bruce, the water he is talking about has nothing to do with the pump.
the water is connected (in his case hot water) to a tee set up. the tee has a venturi built in so as the water runs by it, it syphons a little water out of the sump.
i don't know what the ratio is but running 40-50 gallons of water thru the tee set-up may suck out a few gallons from the sump ?
i do agree that running hot water thru a pump not designed for high temperatures isn't the best idea.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Maybe someone thought by using hot water, in the extreme cold winter of Wyoming, the discharged water could clear the outside pipes without freezing? That is the only slightly logical reason I could come up with. Probably they just got the H & C mixed up. When my son moved into their new home about 20 years ago, they discovered after a few months that hot water was piped to the guest bathroom toilet. The plumbing contractor immediately came out and corrected it. Unfinished basement made that a simple job.

Author: packy (MA)

been there, done that.
although it is much harder to mix up since we use blue and red pex.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.