Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What if the plumbers can’t fix your leak?
Author: CurlessClan (IL)

I’ve had four plumbers to my house this month, two of them have been here twice. I’m out about $150 each time they come. My toilet is still leaking into my basement. Each time they say “Ok it’s fixed!” And each time, a few days later, I’m cleaning raw sewage out of my basement. The only thing that’s helped at all is bypassing the water softener, since the leaks seem to have happened after the unit recharged. Now the leak isn’t as bad, but it’s still happening. So what do I do: Have one of the plumbers back again, try a whole new plumber, never use that toilet again (note: the leak would sometimes happen when we weren’t even home, so not sure this will work anyway). I’m going on 10 times of hauling garbage bags of sewage soaked paper towels out of my basement, so I’m thrilled with any suggestions you might have.

Re: What if the plumbers can’t fix your leak?
Author: sum (FL)

I think there is no right or wrong answers.

If you are using the same plumber, and paying more money, then for me I have to be convinced that the reason for the second, third visits involved a new discoveries, I would want to understand what the new discovery is/was. If it's the same "cause" then I have a problem with paying for multiple attempts, that speaks to perhaps a lack of skill or experience of the plumber.

Sometimes there are multiple issues that causes a "compound" problem, it is not unreasonable to fix one issue, only to expose a second problem later. I have no problem paying more to solve the second problem that wasn't apparent the first time.

I think the most important thing is to get an explanation from the plumber what the problem is and make your decisions base on that. If a plumber is not experienced, and was guessing at the issue by throwing darts on the wall, and each time he throws one you are being charged, then I think it's time for a new plumber.

Author: NP16 (OR)

quote: note: the leak would sometimes happen when we weren’t even home.

sounds like you have a leak in the water piping. Galvanized pipe is the only pipe I know of that can heal itself by rusting over. Do you know what type of water piping you have in your home?

Sometimes (well a lot of times) there's more than one leak in a system. So if the plumber claims to have fixed a leak he may have but not detected or fixed all of them. If you do indeed have raw sewage this is drain problem and likely right at the flange to toilet connection.

After the water filter system is serviced likely you have increased water pressure in your home causing the leak to get worse.

If this was my home I would do some of my own detective work to locate the leak. If you don't feel comfortable doing this you can hire a leak detection company to locate and then hire a new plumber to fix. Do some research online and read reviews.

Edited 1 times.

Author: stanwalker (NY)

For that my suggestion is that if anyone faced that type of issue just do one thing, just connect with handyman service who will solve this problem easily.

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

You suggesting someone having issues in Illinois to call a handyman in Dubai? LOL.

Author: packy (MA)

i wonder if he charges travel time both ways ?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

naaah

he will get a work visa and NEVER return home

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Sarah98 (CA)

You can try out asking your plumber to change the wax ring. That might help. I don't know how much this might help but one of my friend had a leak below the toilet and this worked for him.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.