Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet Flange Question
Author: Victoria90 (OH)

House was built in 1964

I attempting to replace the toilet in my upstairs bathroom and cannot figure out a fix to my issue. I have (what I think) is a 4" galvanized steel drain pipe.

When I took the old toilet off, the wax ring was sitting on the steel plate. The steel plate has an uneven surface and the bolts that connected to the old toilet are coming up through the subfloor and there doesn't appear to be a flange from what I can see.

The steel plate that the old toilet was on seems to be attached directly to the pipe drain. I need to raise the flange height about 1/4 in to install the new tile and toilet, but do not know the correct steps to take to do this.

Would I need to cut the steel and install a new flange?

Is there an easier way to raise the toilet and have it seal properly?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Toilet Flange Question
Author: steve (CA)

For only 1/4", you could use a thick wax ring or a spacer(sealed with wax to the flange).

Author: Mr tee (MT)

I'd use a thick wax - better (less places to leak),simpler and cheaper.

Yes, I would like to do that but the bolts that are currently in place are too short to attach the new toilet.
[imgur.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

that is a LEAD toilet bend

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DIY

you need an EXPERIENCED plumber to PROPERLY install a 'spacer' and new (longer) bolts

OR

you may result in a 'repipe' under the floor

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve (CA)

Your toilet doesn't have "bolts", it uses studs(ok, hanger bolts). The studs will unscrew from the floor and can be replaced with longer ones.

Thank you for your responses! If I do not attempt to remove the existing lead band, can I put a wax ring on top of the lead band to seal it and put a new flange over top?

Author: packy (MA)

follow steves advice.
unscrew the bolts from the floor and replace with longer ones.
do not attempt to mess with the lead. it looks fine.
just install stainless steel or brass studs into the floor. the lower part of the studs is made like a wood screw and the top part is machine threads.i would use a thick wax ring with a sleeve in it.

Author: steve_g (CA)

Packy's got it. DO NOT MESS WITH THE LEAD. Use a thick wax ring, longer bolts and no 'extra' flange.

I would add that the lead is very old and you should look at it carefully with a flashlight & mirror. If you see the slightest hint of a defect, follow Bern's advice.

Author: packy (MA)

thinking about this lead bend...
while i most of the time encourage homeowners to attempt to do their own work, the prospect of the lead being worn in a spot you can not see does call for professional expertise.
so i'm backing off my original statements and joning bernabeu.
get a pro.

@ steve_g

to be technical: coach screw (machine thread to bolt to spring X wood screw to screw to seat)

or someimes called: coach rod screw

originally used to bolt a horse drawn coach's wooden seat to the leaf springs upon which said seat was mounted

yes, i AM actually that old

however, you are correct, it is NOT technically a bolt

tongue sticking out smiley

...And I'm old enough to know that the word 'plumber' means someone who works with lead. Maybe the modern name should be 'plascticers'.

worker OF lead

tongue sticking out smiley

I stand humbly corrected. thumbs

Edited 1 times.

grinning smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.