Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathroom Faucet Drain Popup Flange
Author: 120volts (CA)

I had a horrible time removing the drain popup flange on a double sink yesterday while changing bathroom faucets. Both were old and crusty. I tried to use a screwdriver to hold the flange in place while I used a pipe wrench to the bottom but couldn't break it loose.

Eventually, back and forth twisting broke off the flange and I was able to proceed with the work. But it took a lot of my time.

Are there any good methods to remove these easier next time or a special tool I can buy? I saw the bathtub drain remover but not sure if its the correct size.

Re: Bathroom Faucet Drain Popup Flange
Author: bruceb3 (MI)

sometimes you just have to cut the pop up off with a Sawzall from undereath.

Author: steve (CA)

You could use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel as an internal pipe cutter.

Author: packy (MA)

my 'go to' tool for things like this has been my oscillating tool.

Ah, yes, thanks all! I have a both tools. I will pack both next time in anticipation.

'Just wondering if there was a special tool to grab and hold from the top. I guess not.

I saw a youtube on a fella who used a rachet wrapped in rubber to wedged into the flange to twist it out. But I still don't think it would have worked on my flanges that were rusted solid.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

'smart dumbell'

'sink drain wrench'

'expando'

'desperation'

tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Nice tools. But they all seem like they are for bathtub drains???

Author: bernabeu (SC)

nope

tools are for BOTH

i usually use a pair of channel lock handles jammed into the drain with a LARGE screwdriver for torque

yeah, my channel locks are REALLY REALLY 'beat up'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.