Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking 1960s Delta model ball faucet in bathroom sink
Author: FreddieBaby (MN)

My mother's ancient bathroom sink faucet had developed a drip.

The faucet is a mid to late 1960s Delta model ball faucet with U.S. patent numbers 2,592,062 3,056,418 on the underside of the faucet.

After looking online, I determined that the two little black rubber or plastic O-rings had probably worn out and needed to be replaced. After doing another search online using the patent numbers, I found that the potential O-ring replacement parts that I needed were available two to a pack, one for the hot water and one for the cold. The part number was RP4993 which I quickly located at the local Ace hardware store.

Once home, it took some time to get the faucet apart because it had probably been decades since it had been repaired or possibly even still had the original parts. The hardest part was getting the right, or cold water, O-ring out. It took some cutting with an Exacto knife before I could finally pry it out. After using compressed air to blow out some shards inside the faucet assembly and wiping out some WD-40 that had gotten inside while trying to loosen a few parts, I installed the new springs and O-rings and reassembled the faucet. The good news is the faucet is no longer dripping. The bad news is now when I open the faucet to full pressure, I get water leaking out of the assembly.

I have taken everything apart again and reseated the O-rings and springs, but I still am getting the same problem. I watched a YouTube video of an identical faucet being repaired and made sure that I have the springs and O-rings oriented properly, so that isn't the problem. I ordered online the Danco 86971 repair kit that has additional parts from inside the faucet in case my problem is due to these also being worn, but I also believe that if they were worn, my mother would have previously seen leaking like I am now getting.

I guess my question is am I using the proper repair pieces and, if so, what else might I be overlooking?

My newly ordered repair kit is supposed to arrive by 9 PM tonight and I would like to take another crack at repairing the faucet by the end of the weekend. If someone has any additional thoughts or help on my repair, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks much!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Leaking 1960s Delta model ball faucet in bathroom sink
Author: NP16 (OR)

some times it's just easier to replace a 60 year old faucet.
guaranteed results. no frustrations due to a failed repair and lost time.

Author: steve (CA)

Freddie, did you try to tighten the adjuster ring that's in the center of the dome nut? Also, if you haven't already, put a little grease on the dome threads to make disassembly at a later date easier.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

rp3614 is the Delta repair kit. You use the wrench in the kit to tighten the white plastic center ring on the dome cap.The ring has notches in it to tighten it with the little wrench they give you. That will put more pressure on the bonnet gasket to stop the leak from the center. Good luck!

Author: srloren (CA)

Also before you install new cups and springs, you need to turn off your main ball valve if you haven't already and soak the openings where the cup washers go with white vinegar. I stuff a tiny piece of clothe in each one and fill with vinegar every couple of hours. This dissolves the minerals that build up over time.

Re: Leaking 1960s Delta model ball faucet in bathroom sink clap

Yes, I realize that a new faucet would be a better solution, but due to physical limitations I cannot get down on the floor and contort my body to do what would be necessary to accomplish that. I wanted to try to fix it simply. The last time she hired a plumber to replace a kitchen faucet she ended up with a bill close to $2000.00, so she has been wary of having any plumber back in the house. For someone on Social Security that bill was a hard one for her. I appreciate the suggestion, though. Thanks much.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks again clap

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, I did do that. Everything I could tighten down I did to the point that I could with the tools available to me. I was careful not to overtighten anything that could cause the plastic parts to become stressed.

I ordered the special tightening tool to see if the white ring can be tightened any more than I was able to with what I had yesterday. That might help. We'll see when it gets here.

Again, thanks for the assistance.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for the quick reply. This board is amazing with all of the knowledge and helpful individuals. I will be getting that kit delivered on Saturday, along with some faucet silicone/grease. Hopefully, with all of the feedback I have gotten I will be on my way to figuring this out. Thanks again!

Edited 1 times.

Thank you for responding to my post so quickly. When you say I should soak the openings where the cup washers go in white vinegar, you mean the two holes inside the faucet that I insert the new springs and O-rings into and not the holes on the number 212 ball itself, right? This sounds like a good idea considering the age of the faucet. I also have some CLR. Would that work better or should I just go with the white vinegar?

Author: srloren (CA)

Clear is more aggressive. I would go with the white vinegar. Soak the tiny pieces of cloth and then rinse it to see if the calcium deposits are gone. This has always worked for me. good luck.....

Thanks for the clarifications. I will be taking it apart again today or tomorrow and will use your white vinegar trick once everything is apart.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.