Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 High Pressure Leaks
Author: BadPRV (VA)

Starting about 5 days ago, I have had a water leak through my dining room ceiling come at about 2 am every night and continue until about 6 am. The leak was sufficient to add about 4 or 5 inches of water into the bucket of a wet/dry vac each day. Above my dining room are a bathroom and a small washer/dryer closet. Starting almost immediately, we completely abandoned use of the bathroom and washer/dryer, and we turned the water off to the washer. However, the 2 am leaks continued. While waiting for my plumber appointment, I got a gauge and measured the pressure at my hose bib. This was very high and got higher during the night. For example, 85 psi daytime and 120 at some point during the night. It seems clear that the PRV was bad and it was replaced today.

Regarding the leak...the plumber revealed the pipes via the dining room ceiling and also checked the bathroom and closet themselves for signs of any problems. He also revealed the pipes behind the bathroom's shower faucets. He was unable to determine any source of leak. I assumed that the high water pressure was the culprit, but it seems that this would have required the water to leak through the joints of the sealed plastic pipes. The plumber did not think this was likely. Any thoughts about this? Thanks.

Re: High Pressure Leaks
Author: steve (CA)

That's quite a bit of water, so it shouldn't be too hard to locate the source, and being you know the time frame of the leak, that's a bonus. Do you have an expansion tank on the water line? If yes, has it been checked to see if it's waterlogged? Even if it is, you shouldn't have that much water leaking out of a bad joint. Check the pressure when you see the leak occurring.

Author: BadPRV (VA)

Thank you. I do not have an expansion tank. But since the pressure reduction valve was replaced, there hasn't been any leak.

Author: srloren (CA)

Years ago while installing a copper system in the floor joists a small leak was detected in the ceiling below. I opened up the ceiling drywall and found a copper joint was not soldered. Apparently I missed that one but it held the pressure for a long period of time before it started leaking. If it is a potable water leak I would start looking at this. If it is a leak from a toilet wax ring, the fix is entirely different. Good luck.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.