Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Add SINK into laundry room- HELP!
Author: mad05c (FL)

Building a home but builder will not rough-in my laundry room sink pipes. So I must wait until the home is finised (remove dry wall) in order to add pipes. Here is the floor plan and "pre-drywall" pics of the laundry room and adjacent bathroom. Any ideas how I can add a laundry room sink?

Thanks for the help! Please click image URL below

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]
[ibb.co]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Add SINK into laundry room- HELP!

Here are the images without having to click on them:

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Why is the left sink drain so low and where is the vent for it? AAV? Why are there 2 hot water subouts for the right sink? Being that you have the closet there, it wouldn't be a big deal to plumb the laundry sink off of the left MB sink.

Author: packy (MA)

it looks like the plumber was planning to utilize the left sink drain for both laundry and lav?
the job would have been so much simpler if the was a vent installed.
so, open up the wall from the closet and add what ever fittings you need to the left sink drain and hot and cold as well.
gonna need 2 automatic vents which i would put exposed in the closet for future access if needed.

Author: sum (FL)

I don't understand the AAV being used in new construction instead of a last resort in a difficult retrofit situation like an island sink. Why do it if walls are open and a vent is close by?

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Costs less to slap on than to run pipes through walls. Interesting combination of metal and wood studs...

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

interesting, I never noticed the left sink drain was lower, nor did I notice the 2 hot waters on the right sink. Is it possible the 2 MB drains are connected beneath the concrete and therefore both are vented off of the same vent pipe?

LI Guy- what do you mean by "cost less to slab instead of run pipes through wall". Please explain if possible as this is all new to me.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Building a home but builder will not rough-in my laundry room sink pipes.

YOUR builder - YOUR home

YOUR responsibility for proper material(s) and adherance to YOUR specifications

If you are truly this 'clueless': run runfast runfar and find a condo or co-op or better yet RENT

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

LI Guy- what do you mean by "cost less to slap on instead of run pipes through wall". Please explain if possible as this is all new to me.

An AAV, while possibly code compliant, is NOT, repeat NOT, good practice.

Its use constitutes 'second rate' plumbing and adds a persistent maintenance issue to what should be a simple system

HOWEVER

it is much cheaper and quicker than running vent piping to atmosphere above the roof line.

YOU NEED AN ARCHITECT RGHT NOW BEFORE YOU COMPLETE THE PURCHASE

from your questions i think it may be cheaper for you in the long run to 'walk away' rather than pay for the constant nightmare this builder is creating

typical residential plumbing:

note the vents to outside atmosphere

They're connected as drains, but can't share a vent under the floor.

this is the image that prompted the AAV discussion.

It's kind of blurry but clearly show the right sink has two hot supply stub outs (why?) and the left sink stub out being lower and unvented, and wondering if it is meant to be vented via an AAV. Hence LI Guy's comment "cost less to slap on instead of run pipes through wall".

HOWEVER, it is not cheaper but more expensive the way they did it. If they wanted to lower cost, they could have easily just run a horizontal trap arm from the left sink to the right and connect via a sanitary tee, without the need to even put in an second drain down.

Is it possible the left sink drain is plumbed such that it's wet vented via the right sink drain line? Perhaps a picture of the pipes under the slab before it was closed up would be helpful?

I am not concerned about future issues, Pulte/DiVosta is a large company, home will have a warranty on it as well. Dont you think with all the inspections each step of the way that an error in the master dual vanity would be caught? I have the blue prints, maybe that can help. There are several vents through the roof. Home is 1 month away from closing. The lack of laundry room sink is partly my fault as I didnt want to pay for that "upgrade" including builder-quality cabinets and sink. I thought if I didnt select the "laudnry room' upgrade, that they would at least rough-in pipes for me..
Stand by for blue prints and response from field manager regarding unvented left sinke and dual hot water on right sink.

sooooooo .....

pay for the upgrade

else

grinning smiley

Sum, you can't wet vent an S trap and if the trap is below the floor, there's probably a code issue with too long of a tailpiece.

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Unfortunately, it's wayyy to late to make change orders. With ALLLL the possible options and additions on new builds, I had to cut costs somewhere and I thought adding a laudnry sink after closing would be a simple way to save money upfront (as they wanted $4k for "laundry room package"winking smiley.

Hindsight is obviously 20/20 as it appears this laundry room sink is more difficult. I could always tap into the washer machine pipes and put a sink in the garage as those walls back up.

Here are the home blueprints if that helps anyone with more experience then me.

Edited 1 times.

With the closet located under the stairs, it's not a big deal to add the sink in the laundry room at a later date. Did the plumber/contractor comment as to the lack of a vent and low left sink stubout? There are 2 2x4s with a holddown bracket in the wall behind the 2 sinks. Is there a beam above that's being supported by the 2x4s?

Author: packy (MA)

i have one comment for the to drawing you show here... "YIKES".

has this been inspected?

not much i see would pass my code.

Steve- still waiting for the contractor to respond to me. Perhaps my picture was taken prior to the "pre-drywall inspection" . I will for sure post what the contractor says online.

As for the two 2x4's, I see the ones you are speaking of but I do not have a picture of what is higher. It is a 2-story home and perhaps it has something to do with the top of the stair case?? Cleary not a general contractor here.

I was told by local plumber that is was against code to use the same bathroom vanity vent for a laundry room sink. Apparently new code says the bathroom vanities need their own vents.

according to the ISO, both the kitchen sink and washing machine are unvented. But in the picture you posted I can see the washing machine is tied to a vent. I must be misreading something.

also the master bath double sinks are to be tied together above with a vent through the roof, perhaps they haven't done the plumbing upstairs yet to extend that pipe up on the left. But the left sink vent will be used by the upstairs bathroom as a drain, is that allowed? I thought you have to run another pipe from the upstairs down and not tie in until it's below the lower sink sanitary tee connection?

Sum the right sink drain is currently being used as a wet vent for the master bathroom fixtures. That's probably why the local plumber stated the laundry sink couldn't share a vent with the MB sink. The double 2x4s with the holddown can't be drilled for the left sink vent to join the right sink vent and there's probably a beam above the 2x4s, causing an issue to join vents above the ceiling. The 3" drain for the upstairs bathroom runs down the wall behind the clothes dryer(garage/laundry wall). The vent pipe for the right MB sink looks like 1 1/2", not 2"?

ok guys- again thank you for all the replies thus far.
This is what the builder said:

"The extra hot is for the tub, just missing the valve. Left sink will get studor"

I think above posters are correct that the double 2x4's must be structural and cannot be drilled through to connect the left sink vent to the right sink vent.

Back to the original question lol. How can I tap into either the master bath or washer pipes to get a laudry room sink?

Legally you can't, without opening up the floor, functionally I don't see it ever being an issue. Legality aside, if the left sink 90* was cut off and a sanitary tee installed in it's place, branch pointing towards the laundry room. Stub of pipe and another sanitary tee(for AAV in the wall above second sanitary tee) or 90*(AAV in lav cabinet) for the lav drain. Tee into hot and cold supply piping and run them through the wall for laundry sink. Another AAV could be installed for laundry sink, but I don't think it would be needed.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.