Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Separate Cast Iron radiator
Author: Lee (NJ)

Good Morning: I may be able to obtain some Cast Iron Baseboard radiators. How would I separate the radiator for transport to my house ? It is too long. Thank you !

Edited 1 times.

Re: Separate Cast Iron radiator
Author: packy (MA)

first you need to understand how they are assembled.
CI baseboard comes in sections with two holes at each end.
the middle sections have holes that are slightly tapered while some sections have holes on one end that are threaded.
look at a CI radiator in a house to get the concept. made up of lots of sections put together with the endections having threaded hole top and bottom. these sections are secured with a long threaded rod to keep the together.
when the baseboard is removed from the wall, you will see the sections are held together by short bolts and nuts.
quite frankly i have put them together but never taken them apart.
anyway there are pieces called "push nipples" between the sections that are lubricated with "nipple grease" and the sections are forced together. they make a tool for assembling the sections but i have always used a 2 x 4 and a big hammer.
lastly.. i believe if you remove the heaters from the wall, remove the fastening bolts and drive a wedge between them they will come apart.
these instruction are very good but also look for a video.
[www.weil-mclain.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

@ Lee,

my un asked for opinion:

if you begin this project be prepared for a lifetime of sado-masachism

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Bernbeau:

You have me wondering am I wasting my time ? Am I setting myself up for constant maintenance or something ? I do not want to be tethered to a situation on and on !

Author: packy (MA)

in my opinion, if you have hot water heat, there is no finer way to heat the house than cast iron baseboard.
if you take the unit apart, lug it home and re-assemble it you should be good to go.
test it with 25-30 PSI of air. if it doesn't leak with this test, install it, it will never leak.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

IF, repeat IF, you can METICULOUSLY clean, re-align, properly 'grease', AND reassemble the section(s) w/o the 'expensive' proper tool using blocks and a hammer - go for it.

IF, on the other hand, you have the SLIGHTEST doubt ..................... frowning

AND, IF, your heating calculations are correct AND you have the specs for the newly acquired radiation AND you have the requisite parts for a clean 'good looking' (as opposed to who flung dung and run) install - go for it smiling smiley

as i said before: potentially your worst nightmare - but - perhaps you are bored and have nothing but free time

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thank you clap clap

I really thank you Packy and Bernabeu for the advice ! You have been such a great help to me over the years!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.