Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 shower handle buttons
Author: sum (FL)

The little plastic buttons/caps over the three handle shower/tub handles - the one that says "H" on the left, "C" on the right and I am not even sure what it says in the middle...are missing.

I hope they didn't fall into the tub and into the drain - tenants said they never noticed.

Are these buttons replaceable? Local plumbing supply store said they sell the entire trim kits only and no separate parts avai;able.

I have seen these buttons available online, they are usually made by some generic parts brand like DANCO, and say "button for Delta". "button for Gerber" etc...I am not sure what brand I have.

Edited 1 times.

Re: shower handle buttons
Author: hj (AZ)

They are Pfister and if you call 1-800-PFAUCET they will probably send you a set. THe middle one has an arrow.

Author: packy (MA)

sum, that is a gerber valve.

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 times.

WOW...TWINS
Author: packy (MA)

yikes, but don't they look alike.

up here i have never seen PP 3 handle valve.
not that they don't exist but no one sells them, they sell gerber.

Re: WOW...TWINS

Around here two handle PP valves are only in shower only installations.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

for 'matching up' purposes:

DANCO Bathtub and Shower 3-Handle Remodel/Rebuild Trim Kit for Gerber Faucets | Knob Handle | 11B-1H, 11B-1C, 11B-4D | Chrome (39617)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve (CA)

thanks, I just confirmed it is indeed a Price Pfister valve.

I went through all the pictures I tool five years ago, when I opened up the wall on the other side of this bathroom, I believe it was the tub spout I was trying to replace, and felt too much give on the piping behind the wall. I cut a hole behind it in the other room and found that none of the piping was secured to any wall framing so I fixed that and closed it back up. I did manage to take some pictures of the back side of the valve.

The thing that may add to the confusion is that the trim you see now was not original OEM for that valve. It was a trim kit similar to what Bernabeu posted that I bought at a local plumbing supply. So they might have gone with a different handle design then what steve showed Gerber vs PP handles. I don't even know what the handle brand was, or may be it didn't have a brand just "Fits Price Pfister...".

Now the tricky question is if I buy a 3 piece index button set for Pfister will that work on BrandX generic handles?

Edited 1 times.

Sum, I just measured the hole diameter on a PP handle and it was .800 at the bottom of the hole. The hole has a slight taper inwards. I would think that if they're PP replacements, they would use PP buttons.

Sum,

after looking @ steve's pic again:

gerber = 8 'cuts'

pf = 6 'cuts'

'your' handles are most definately pf as they are clearly 6 'cuts' (hexagonal)

never noticed before !

Edited 2 times.

thanks steve, I am going to try the PF buttons!

CALLTHEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bernabeu, I noticed that as well, that the PF is hexa and the Gerber octo. However since my handles were not OEM replacement but generic brands I didn't want to depend on that since a generic brand could have made them the same exact look on the outside for many brands and designed the inside differently to fit the stems.

That was hiding in plain sight. Never noticed it.

+ sum's handles do NOT have the pictured 'flat spot' of the pictured pfs frowning

soooooo.... neither gerber nor pf

good luck sum

IMO: leave the tenant w/o 'buttons' which will only be 'relost' or broken anyway - match all three screw heads

pps. the 'cut outs' are actually termed FLUTES if my (new found) memory serves

ppps. must really REALLY be bored

agree

the pic HAS a flat

sum's pic(s) of what he actually has do NOT have flats

That was sum's picture that I posted.

mea culpa

yep, it is a flat

muusst .. maaggnifffy .. before .. opining

looks like pf is the right call

(now that i have erred, 2020 is complete)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.