Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Convert old tub faucet to update
Author: Ricknemily (CA)

Hi! I’m renovating my master bathroom and I’m converting an old style Roman jacuzzi tub to a more modern freestanding tub. The faucet configuration doesn’t seem to be what I need. It’s three pipes (1 for hot and 2 for cold water) coming from concrete in the floor each with Valves on them. Each go into an L shape and then again into 3- hot, cold and the water spout. How can I convert this strange set up into a tub filler set up? I have a photo but not sure how to post. Thanks for your help!
[@#$%&[postimages.org]][/url][@#$%&[postimages.org]]image hoster free[/url]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Convert old tub faucet to update
Author: steve (CA)

[www.plbg.com]

Thanks Steve! Worked like a charm!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you open 'er up MUCH more and reconfigure the piping to your new fixture's requirement(s)

you are dealing with actual plumbing tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks for responding! Is this something you think I can do myself or should I hire a plumber?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the fact that you asked answers for itself

get a LICENSED BONDED INSURED plumber AND the required building permit

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks clap

I was afraid of that. Thank you! I will be calling a plumber!

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

the third pipe appears to be a hot water recirculating line.
if you want a nice finished look to the free standing tub you will need to have some pretty talented plumbing skills. on a scale of 1 to 10 this is about a 7.5
whether you decide to tackle this project or hire a plumber, you will need to choose the tub and faucet. then either have it on site or have some very detailed rough-in directions. these type tubs and faucets are not all the same.

understand the the pipes have to be installed in precisely the correct location and then tested before the floor is finished. then the tile goes down and the walls are painted. THEN the tub goes in.

The 3rd pipe is a cold water pipe. Maybe the supply for the toilet? Outside hose bib?

maybe in CA they put cold on the left but not around MA.

Edited 1 times.

OP stated 2 cold pipes.

look at the shut off on the hot side.
i think i see a tee just below it ?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.