Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Broker adapter
Author: Marcus7 (OH)

So I have a stub out that has a chipped part on trap adapter, right where the washer gets seated when you tighten compression nut. Pic attached shows where it’s chipped. Hindering a good seal

[drive.google.com]

So therefore connection leaks a bit. It’s recessed in my wall and on top of the leak you can barely even tighten or loosen the nut to remove trap arm because of its recession in the wall. Long story short, This is under a sink on a old beautiful vanity with a marble top and back splash. In order to cut out and replace this stub out I would have to remove the vanity. It would not be anything ideal and could potentially ruin the vanity/marble. You would have to be a child to fit within the cuboard to work on this. I don’t want to remove anything I just want to hopefully defuse that with an easier way.

Since the threads on this trap adapter are in good shape (they are 1 1/4 male threads) do they make a fitting extension pc. I could Screw onto the threads w/ some Teflon tape or paste to make an extension out the wall where a stub out should be. And then have the opposing end that I can cement a new trap adapter onto? Please tell me there is a way to rectify?

Re: Broker adapter
Author: packy (MA)

sure do..
you just want a simple female adapter.
the male threads will not have a taper to them but the female threads will. so tightening the adapter will be tricky.
4-5 wraps of teflon tape along with a good coating of pipe dope on the male threads should do it.
BTW, your link doesn't work.

Dang I had link sharing turned off apologies On link!

[drive.google.com]

This is the part that’s broke.

-I have looked everywhere and emailed/called plumbingsupply and have not got through to anyone. Hardware store was no help either.

-I looked for a female threaded adapter ( that you say they have PACKY) to screw over the broken trap Adapters male threads with no luck.

*FYI I need the extension to be at least 2 1/4 inch long to give me something to work, And bypass the vanity’s drawer slide bolt in back cupboard. ( could you send a pic/Link to the part you are talking about. Appreciate!!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

this is the type fitting packy means:

or

simply cut the PVC and use a new:

or

depending on the 'depth' of the 'nick' you may be able to file it and have enough thread left for a good seal

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks barnabeu,
Are either of those after female is threaded at least 2 1/4 in length sticking out to the slip joint part. I Need at least 2 1/4 to get in front of a bolt and valve. Old school plumbing setup. I need that length.
Thank you got a LINK to the metal/brass looking fitting? Hope that’s long enough?

Thanks barnabeu,
Are either of those after female is threaded at gonna be at least 2 1/4 in length sticking out to the slip joint part. I Need at least 2 1/4 to get in front of a bolt and valve. Old school plumbing setup. I need that amount in length length.
Thank you do you got a LINK to the metal/brass looking fitting? Hope that’s long enough?

bern, that is some kind of a slip extension ??
i actually did mean a plain old 1 1/4 female adapter.
but now the man has thrown a curveball at us.
he needs more than 2 inches of extension.
now of course he can put together a few fittings to accomplish this but changing inside diameter from bigger to smaller is not such a great idea for drains.

so marcus...
the big problem here is that a 'slip' fitting like bern shows has a thinner wall so the inside diameter is larger. this is done so a trap arm can fit inside it and be made leakproof with a tapered washer and a slip nut.
so if you extend the broken piece with anything but a fitting made like bern shows, a trap arm will not slide inside it.
you are also dealing with 1 1/4 threads which are much less common than 1 1/2".
we are starting with 2 strikes against us.
put it this way.
if i were there i would bring in a big box of fittings with cobwebs and dust all over them and keep trying things until i either solved the problem or keeled over trying.

Author: steve (CA)

How about an 1 1/4" female adapter screwed to the existing adapter with an 1 1/4 spigot trap adapter glued to it?

I get and understand all that for the most part PACKY thanks for replying. The brass adapter berns shows with the female thread I feel would still be in walls. At least the ones I have found like that are to short. I mean those need to be tightened with wrench correct. You can’t hand tighten like plastic pvc? I say that because I can’t get a wrench on that still just a tad short. And man I wish I had a box of all kinds of fittings like you. Thanks again man I will figure something out smileys with beer

Author: bernabeu (SC)

large jaw basin wrench

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Awwww haaaa if I go that route I’ll get that wrench thanks

Hey Steve That’s what I can’t find, a longer adapter, I found a couple different adapters, the one that almost worked, a 1 1/4 Female thread to a spigot end like you said, but still to short.

Here’s pic of adapter I thought would work thats still to short if I go “the glued pvc trap adapter route”!

[drive.google.com]

Do they make any longer adapters for this situation to glue a new Pvc trap adapter to. I would in turn need a adapter about (3.5 inches long minimum) instead of the (2 1/4 I originally said for length). If you are wondering why it’s imperative in this situation is because when I glue a trap adapter, it in turn will make it thicker; for example: it will Go outside the specs/diameter of a schedule 40 - 1 1/2 pvc pipe, and that is just slightly to thick of diameter at the 2 1/4 length mark. So Another words it gets in the way of drawer slide bolt and Water supply shutoff valve. So that’s why I need something Slightly longer ie: approx 3.5 inch Minimum Length -female thread to spigot end.

I’m swamped at work and the time I’ve had going looking and talking to hardware store, online searches, I have had no luck finding something. Online don’t give specs half the time on length.

2 of these ought to give you what you want.
[www.amazon.com]

as i warned before the male end of this fitting may have an internal diameter too small to slip the trap arm inside.

this now brings you back to getting a fitting like bern showed. 1 1/4 female threads x 1 1/4 slip joint threads with a nut and washer. put it on the end of the fitting i just showed.

Author: steve (CA)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.