Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cold water is 79°F
Author: geomyth (NC)

I've seen a post similar to this before, so I'll try to get everything out of the way that I can.
I live near Wilmington, NC, USA in a home I recently purchased that was build in 2004. It is on a raised slab and there are no obvious plumbing concerns. As you can tell it is currently the middle of July, I have noticed this problem since the end of May of this year when I moved here. I tell you this in case these things may factor into the replies.

The cold water in all of my taps including my outdoor spigot, is between 78.6°F - 79.1°F after about 15 seconds in the low 70´s. I have tried shutting off the hot water at the water heater to see if that makes any change in temperature. Once I shut off the water leaving the water heater, I had no water in either of my bathroom's showers unless I also turned on the water in that bathroom's sink. The water still came out too warm.

This may seem like something trivial, but I keep rare and exotic freshwater fish. I need constant supply of cool, fresh water. My water-changing apparatus could heat the water, but not cool it because of myriad reasons. I have lived in different places, even the same county, and been in this hobby since the 80's but never had this issue. Is there a work around or something that I am missing?

Thank you

Re: Cold water is 79°F
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you are missing that the municipal supply comes from a tank elevated and baking in the sun

you are missing that your main is probably buried 12-18" deep and the topsoil is WARM

you are missing that you may be close to said elevated tank

you are missing that it is SUMMER

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve (CA)

The showers are probably pressure balanced, so when you turned off the W/H supply, the shower valves detected the loss of hot pressure and shut down the cold flow through them. When you turned on the sink faucet, if it was a single handle faucet, you might have backfed into the hot piping, the shower valve sensed hot and cold supply pressure, and returned functionality. If you want want/need cooler incoming water, maybe divert the incoming supply pipe, to a large coil of piping buried deep in the ground, using the earth as a heat sink.

Author: sum (FL)

Can you get the cool water you need from your refrigerator's water dispenser?

I've tried, but I need about 300 gallons a day and cooling with ice can cause pulmonary embolisms in the fish.

Re: Cold water is 79°F clap

@bernabeu Thanks, especially on the summer bit. I'll make sure to take of my parka. Guess I set myself up to be trolled.

Edited 3 times.

Author: steve_g (CA)

Do your neighbors get cold water? If they do, you might have a cross-connection between the hot & the cold somewhere, most likely at a single-handle fixture. If your neighbors are all getting 79 degree water, it's what Bern said.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

@geomyth,

i have EXACTLY the same situation

tepid bathwater cold water supply in the summer

gnome, not troll

tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.