Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Valley shower faucet isn't giving up the hot water...
Author: glhall1960 (IL)

I purchased this home, built in 1982, about five years ago. Apparently the original (previous) owner had NEVER used the master bath shower. When I attempted to do so I had very little water pressure available on the hot side. In order to use that shower I had to run it full hot and back it off just enough to crack the cold. This gave me the proper temperature but barely enough flow to shower with properly. I had a local plumber look at the faucet and he found nothing wrong with it (so he said). I decided to see what I could figure out so I took it apart. I flushed the valve and reinstalled the original cartridge, but then had no hot water pressure at all. The inside of the valve had a lot of rust and lime deposits in it, so I bought a new cartridge (V6005), stops, bonnet nut and proceeded to clean the valve body. My final step in cleaning was with 0000 steel wool to the point that the inside of the valve now appears to be polished. I assembled all the moving parts using a thin film of plumbers' grease to lubricate the o-rings. After reassembling the faucet I still have no hot water pressure in spite of having equal pressure at the valve from both hot and cold water. Everything has been replaced EXCEPT the valve body itself and I still have no hot water coming out of the faucet at all in spite of having adequate water available at the valve body when I flush it. I'm completely at a loss.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Valley shower faucet isn't giving up the hot water...
Author: hj (AZ)

If the valve body has a large "nut" to the right of the cartridge, then that is a stuck balancing spool. I am not sure if Valley used that style.

Re: Valley shower faucet isn't giving up the hot water...
Author: glhall1960 (IL)

This one is from before the advent of pressure balancing, etc. I did just get the hot/cold issue resolved. The problem is it's flowing at such a low rate that it took an eternity to get hot water to it. I can urinate at a higher volume and pressure than this shower can. Even with a 'super water saver' shower wand it's barely enough pressure to get water out of the spray nozzles and not nearly enough for a comfortable shower. I have an identical valve in my hall bath and using an identical hose/wand setup it works excellent. I guess I need to start chasing pipes to try and figure out where the restriction is.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.