Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Connecting a 4" PVC drain between two fixed points
Author: sum (FL)

OK I have a question.

I need to replace a 4" section of PVC drain. Straight shot 12' in length between two fixed points in a trench about 30" deep.

I know I can put a 12' piece (with one solvent welded joint) and connect at both ends with either a rubber Fernco coupling or a HD mission coupling (the steel clamp version with 4 bands), both are rated for direct burial.

HOWEVER, I am wondering, is it possible to reduce the number of mechanical couplings from 2 to 1 only? The reason is not cost, but just think it's better to have one more solvent welded joint (and one less mechanical joint).

If I put the HD mission coupling neoprene on one end, fold it back on itself. Can I apply prime and cement on the other end, still have room to slide the pipe into the coupling kind of at an angle to allow the folded back sleeve to line up snug on the other end? Is that possible or no? I don't think it is likely for a 4" but I have done that previously with a 1.5" and it worked.

Should I give it a try, or don't even bother?

Re: Connecting a 4" PVC drain between two fixed points
Author: bernabeu (SC)

with a good helper, no problemo

? alone ? save yourself the grief and use two mechanicals

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

sum, i have not used these but if it says 'repair' coupling then it has no stop in the middle. so you don't have to roll anything back, just slide this on all the way and bring it back when the pipe is in place.
[www.fernco.com]

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

2 Strongbacks (with the 4 bands). Buried, they'll last a lifetime.

@ packy,

from your link:

..... Strong Back RC Couplings offer a .012" stainless steel shield and a molded in bushing. .....

frowning

I didn't get the Fernco Strongback, but I got this 4 band HD couplings from the local plumbing supply store, it's for 4" CI or plastic and the store told me it's rated for direct burial.

It will fold back like the sleeves on a Fernco PROFLEX, but the PROFLEX is not rated for buried applications. I have two of these I can make the connections but was trying to figure out if I can reduce to one mechanical coupling and solvent weld the other end.

yes, you 'could' weld one end, but, you WILL need a helper to 'spring' the 4"

save yourself a migraine and use two mechs (mechanical coupling = what you bought)

bernabeu, OK I will go with two mechanical joints to avoid the migraine. Thanks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.