Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is it possible to temporarily remove the base of a pedestal sink to install a new drain??
Author: idreos (MD)

I am having a difficult time installing a new drain on a pedestal sink.
The pedestal is too close to the wall and I cannot get access to the drain nut to make a good leak proof connection.
Have tried using a basin wrench, but there is not enough clearance in the pedestal.
I assume the basins of modern pedestal sinks are wall mounted, and I am wondering if it is possible to remove the pedestal of the sink by cutting out the caulk to the bathroom floor and the sink it "supports"

Would appreciate any info from someone who has faced my problem
Thanks for your help

Re: Is it possible to temporarily remove the base of a pedestal sink to install a new drain??
Author: bernabeu (SC)

usually the pedestal also fits into a 'groove' or 'well' in the basin it supports - so - unless you could ALSO move the basin UP it would be to no avail

frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: Is it possible to temporarily remove the base of a pedestal sink to install a new drain??
Author: bruceb3 (MI)

You now know the major "con" of pedestal sinks. Whenever a customer insists on a pedestal sink, I try to impress on them to put the best no maintenance faucet with a metal pop-up assembly on it. Whenever the drain or a lot of faucets need service, the sink will need to be pulled.

Author: packy (MA)

95+ % of the time the sink is attached to the wall with screws or bolts.
some older models have a bracket to hold the sink against the wall.
if you can manage to loosen the sink enough, you can slide the pedestal leg out from under.
this is a pretty risky maneuver and you could crack the sink.

i guess i'm telling you to completely remove the bolts/screws holding the sink against the wall.
you can then carefully lift the sink and leg out and proceed from there.

absolutely use 100% silicone caulking under the drain flange and on top of the rubber washer under the sink.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.