Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Clean water leak from a vent in basement When toilet is flushed
Author: Marsha (IL)

(Plbg was able to fix part of this post)

I have a leak coming from a what appears to be a vent or something attached to side of a clean water supply pipe. The leak only only occurs when a toilet is flushed. The leak is A squirt of about a tablespoon of water. Any advice is appreciated. I attached photo but not sure if I have proper format

Edited 1 times.

Re: Clean water leak from a vent in basement When toilet is flushed
Author: packy (MA)

marsha, we are good but not that good. hahaha

give us a little more information so we can help.

Author: hj (AZ)

vents do not usually have water in them, so need more info.

smile I wish I could show a picture of the basement plumbing.
I live in a townhouse. The water line coming from outside goes through a meter and into a riser. The riser has a T junction dividing the house water and the outdoor sprinkler system water. The leak is coming from the line going to the outdoor sprinkler system. The leak is coming from a Big 3 way valve (might be back flow prevention device) where a square piece of open ended plastic (about 1" X 1/2" X 1/2"winking smileyis attached. The water is coming from inside the plastic piece. It is a slow drip (One drop/min) except when a toilet is flushed. Then there is a quick squirt of about 1 tablespoon water. Hope this helps smiling smiley

One note of significance. I noticed this 2 days ago when the city turned off water due to main water break. I woke with no water and I noted small puddle water on floor in utility area. Water was restored (with boil order) and I continue to have leak. The leak could have been there before but I frequent this area and had not noticed it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

Sounds like the relief valve on a backflow device.

If so, most likely some debris is stuck in the number 1 check valve and it needs to be cleaned.

Most backflow devices have a rating plate with brand, model number and pipe size stamped on it or this information is cast into the body of the device.

If you can not post a picture see if you can find this information on the device and post it.

Cleaning out the check valve can be a little involved.

Author: steve (CA)

Marsha, follow these instructions for the picture you were trying to post. You have to upload the picture to a hosting site(it's free) and then post a link back here to the image at the hosting site.
[www.plbg.com]

Yea! I think I did it! smiling smiley

Author: bernabeu (SC)

sounds like an RPZ which did not 'reseat' completely

service will require an actual licensed-bonded-insured plumber who is ALSO state certified in backflow prevention

said devices DO require annual testing and/or maintenance

as per federal code

(after seeing the pic)

the drain hose from the 'collection cup' is missing - said 'cup' or funnel would catch the perhaps proper intermittent drip from the possibly working properly RPZ backflow preventer

often, unless a compression/expansion tank or an (additional) check valve is PROPERLY installed on the 'house side' of the RPZ, there WILL BE a back pressure or surge when a valve operates resulting in the RPZ actually releiving an actual back pressure

to repeat: actual certified on site plumber is required

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

thank you so much to everyone who replied. I will call a certified plumber to check the backflow device. Is there any urgency or can it wait a month or so?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

put a bucket underneath and it can wait a lifetime

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

thumbs thumbs

2 thumbs up!
smile

Edited 1 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

In my neck of the words you don't have to be licensed etc. to work on them.

You do have to be licensed etc. to test them.

As Bern suggested you would best be served to have it worked on by somebody who is licensed to work on them.

Backflow devices can be complicated. Lucky for you, yours is one of the simpler designs to work on and a very common model.....well in my area anyhow.

Send your service person the pictures ahead of time so that they can bring the correct repair parts with them.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.