Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Repairing a water leak inside a Bathroom ceiling/wall:
Author: RSM (NY)

I noticed a water leak that travels to my downstairs ceiling, and upper wall, whenever I use the bathroom sink directly above it. Upon physical examination of the upstairs bathroom sink, the leak doesn't seem to be coming from the trap or the water lines; It's inside the ceiling/wall somewhere. I'd like to know if someone could walk me through the repair process; the best way to repair this problem, what materials to use, what tools I'll need, how to start etc... any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Repairing a water leak inside a Bathroom ceiling/wall:
Author: packy (MA)

you need to make the ceiling into what we affectionately call 'swiss cheese'.
in other words you have to start making observation holes to locate the leak.
once the leak has been found, post some pictures as to just what it is so we can offer our humble advice.

Author: NP16 (OR)

pipe will rot out in the horizontal position first.

I would start out by checking out the sanitary tee fitting in the wall where the trap arm enters.
then if that is all good find the next horizontal section of piping.

holes and an inspection by camera as mentioned. Or if the sheet rock in the ceiling is already water damaged just remove it and locate piping for inspection and testing.

Edited 1 times.

Author: RSM (NY)

This is an old house; if the sanitary tee is the part leaking, what's the best way to remove this section of pipe?

Author: NP16 (OR)

every situation is unique. accessibility and type of pipe are main factors but there are others like maybe an electric wire in the way or water pipe in the way.

my recommendation would be to hire a plumber to make any repairs. We are insured for this, know how to do the work correctly.

Author: hi (TX)

Maybe best to call in a pro. It will be quicker cheaper and done correctly.

Just saying. You will be happier

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

You can save a little money by having the issue already exposed. If there is drywall in the room behind the sink, you may have to open the drywall and follow the pipe. Yes, it is probably the horizontal galvanized pipe thats ruptured (rotted). If the drywall below is soft, open it up. It needs to dry out anyway to be repaired, so opening it now will allow it to start drying. Good luck. Let us know the outcome.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.