Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bottle trap sizing
Author: MartyP (Non-US)

We have a dual sink kitchen with separate bottle traps for each sink. The traps are polypropylene and have developed cracks, and hence leaks, in the removable bottles. It is very difficult to simply repair the leaks, have tried but nothing sticks or seals reliably to the material.

I am from New Zealand where all plumbing is metric. My plan was to buy 2 replacement traps, and simply use the new bottles in place of the old, but the sizing of the installed traps does not match any I can buy over here. This makes me think they may be imperial sized.

Here is an image - [imgur.com] - of the fitting with bottle removed.

The thread OD is 69.60 mm (2.75 inch). I haven’t yet measured the TPI as even finding a bottle trap with that size thread has eluded me so far.

I would be happy to source replacements from overseas, but at the moment I don’t know the sizing to look for. So, if there is an imperial sized bottle that should fit, could any of you plumbing experts tell me the size that I need to look for please? Finding the bottle thread size from typical data sheets is all but impossible.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and best regards from NZ.

Re: Bottle trap sizing
Author: hj (AZ)

Items like that have proprietary parts so you have to get one made by the same company. I do not know what kind of plumber would install a bottle trap on a kitchen sink.

The sink waste fittings were supplied with the sinks. I don’t have any manufacturer info for any of it. Will probably need to get it all replaced.

Author: packy (MA)

you loosen the nuts above and beside the trap. (inlet and outlet)
remove the whole trap and replace it, not just part of it.

Re: Bottle trap sizing thumbs

Thanks for your reply. I didn't want to dismantle it if I could avoid doing that. You’re right though, getting a full replacement for the fittings is the best solution.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

replacing the entire trap (on a scale of 1 to 10) is... well it is so easy to do it doesn't even register on the scale. go for it.

Re: Bottle trap sizing smileys with beer

Could not find a replacement trap that fitted the existing pipes, the OD did not match. However, through a very unlikely route, we found someone who had exactly the same trap set unused in their garage. They had a sink from the same manufacturer installed around the same time as us, but they didn’t use the trap fittings supplied with the sink, so they gave them to us.

5 minutes later, had fitted the replacement bottles and fixed the leakage problem. smileys with beer

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.