Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Waste King disposer plumbing
Author: sum (FL)

I need to reconnect all the under sink plumbing for the double kitchen sink. On the right side is the garbage disposer and I have a Waste King 8000 disposer.

My first question is, it seems the only thing holding up this pretty heavy disposer unit are two rubber "nipples" staying inside the metal slots on the mounting ring. That doesn't look very sturdy at all. Anyone installed a Waste King with what they called an "EZ Mount"? Just those two rubber nipples holding up the entire unit and making the watertight seal?

Second, what is the best way to tie the two sink drains together given my situation?

I was going to put a slip joint elbow at the bottom of the disposer outlet elbow, then run a horizontal pipe to the left, then I will have an end outlet tee there. But looking at it I don't quite like the two 90 elbows coming out of the disposer.

Is there any reason I cannot get rid of the 90 elbow that comes with the disposer, and directly mount a flanged sink tailpiece to it coming out horizontally to the left? Or is that a no no?

Edited 2 times.

Re: Waste King disposer plumbing
Author: bernabeu (SC)

voice is 'shrill'

instructions are perfect

[www.youtube.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

straight flanged tailpiece is better way to go.
i always buy the double ended variety so after cutting to length i have a shorter one left.

Author: srloren (CA)

The waste will flow better if you do not go straight but utilize the elbow that comes with the disposal Your waste needs to be lowered a couple of inches so it can be installed correctly. Going straight you have a 50/50 chance of going up into the sink.

not with a disposal tee (end waste baffled tee)

I do not understand how it can "flow better" by going through two seemingly redundant elbows. Plus two more slip joints.

I got it all connected.

The only thing is the bottom of the outlet tee is only about 3/8" inserted into the U bend. Normally I would cut it so it can go in as deep as possible.

Is this OK or should I cut another piece in between?

use an extension piece

cut to almost 'bottom out' in trap inlet

cut disposal tee to almost 'bottom out' in extension

ps. maximum insertion is always a good thing grinning smiley

I wonder if they make an end outlet tee with an extra long tail that I can cut short to fit? I hate to insert another joint unless I have to.

why not just put a 1/2 inch longer tailpiece from the strainer to the tee?
i will lower the tee by that much and give the discharge from the disposer more slope.

Packy, I could do that, but if you look at that tee, that also has a very shallow insertion from the horizontal lines from the disposer. If I drop that tee down, wouldn't it put strain on that connection or the one on the disposer? I am not so worried about the disposer end as that has a metal clamp and two SS bolts holding it, but these tubular skip joints I worry because people tend to put everything in the cabinet, pushing trash cans in, large bottles of detergent and bleach to force the cabinet doors closed pushing loose the connections.

not really any strain to worry about.
one some real hot water is run thru that tubular stuff, it will flex enough and remain happily in that position forever.
as for tenants forcing their belongings into the cabinet and causing leaks, the only way to stop this is to hard pipe the connections.

Author: srloren (CA)

Also on your Rental Agreement you might add a clause that informs the tenant that any plumbing problems/costs created by storing stuff under the sink cabinet will be paid by the tenant. Suggest to them that they store stuff in another location....I know, good luck with that!

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Your pucture is exactly how I would have done it with an end outlet twin waste. Rather than leave that outlet only 3/8" into the trap, I would cut that outlet tee back and install a compression tailpiece as was suggested. There is less risk of that leaking than that 3/8" joint coming loose from vibration.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

You cant drop the tee down without putting a lot of strain on the disposal connection.

i would not worry about the disposer connection unless it was coming out at a pretty good angle. there is a thick flat rubber washer inside that clamped connection that should ( i emphasize should) make up for a slight alignment correction.

"Also on your Rental Agreement you might add a clause that informs the tenant that any plumbing problems/costs created by storing stuff under the sink cabinet will be paid by the tenant. Suggest to them that they store stuff in another location....I know, good luck with that!"

I have everything under the sun covered in my lease agreements. However many renters do not care. There was this tenant who had a kitchen drain clog and when I went there to unblock the drain I asked her what she put down the drain, she said nothing just water because she knew better to put anything down there. I started to undo the p-trap, put a bucket under it, then I asked her if she put any Draino type products down the drain, she said of course not because the lease agreement prohibits it. Nevertheless I went back to my car and took out a pair of disposable gloves anyway, and on my way back to the kitchen I threw away the disposable glove bag into her kitchen trash can, and right inside the trash can, is an empty bottle of Draino. After I unblocked the drain I showed her the corn husks and artichoke hearts I pulled out from the p-trap. She acted surprised like "what are these and how did these get there?" Things like this happen ALL THE TIME.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.