Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet clogged and snake won't go down
Author: greg9840 (FL)

Hi all,

I have a clogged toilet and I am really looking to avoid having anyone come into my house due to the fact I live in a pandemic hotspot. But I'm not very handy. My toilet was completely clogged and plunging only helped a little, allowing it to slowly drain. Any time paper is used, it gets completely clogged and has to be plunged over 100 times just to drain slowly again. I bought the $6 3 foot toilet augur they sell on Amazon and Walmart and snaked it, and everything seemed to be working great, but it clogged again almost immediately. I snaked it again and it worked fine again, and the toilet was flushing fine, and then clogged a short time later. I tried to snake it a third time and this time, the snake would not go all the way down. And when I rotated the handle, it would wind up super tight and then quickly spin backwards when I let go. If I pushed the snake really hard, it would fold over itself and the tip would come back out. So, I figured I need a stronger snake that won't fold and come back out, so I bought the $55 Rigid 6 foot auger. It will not go all the way down. I have been pushing and turning as hard as I can, and it only goes maybe 2 or 2 1/2 feet down. Like the cheap augur, when I reach the point it won't go down anymore and I turn the handle, it winds up tight and then spins the opposite way very fast when I let go. I really don't want to take the toilet off myself to try to find a toy or something in there (I have a 3 year old) and have to do a new wax ring, etc. and I'm afraid I'll mess it up and have a leak, etc. Is there anything else I can try before I have a plumber come inside my house?

Thanks!

Re: Toilet clogged and snake won't go down
Author: hj (AZ)

YOu have something caught in the toilet and if the auger will not go down, you will have to remove the toilet to access the stoppage.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, sometimes you have to remove the toilet, lay it on its side and snake backwards from the bottom.

Author: 120volts (CA)

I had something similar and initially did the same thing as you. I ended up removing the toilet and snaked from both ends but it was still stuck inside the toilet. I ended up pushing with coat hangers and snakes from both ends repeatedly and it finally dislodged...a shampoo bottle cap. Immediately afterward I fired my girlfriend and got a new one.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Try turning the auger in the opposite direction to get it past the problem. Some times that will get you through the trap.

Author: packy (MA)

120, " Immediately afterward I fired my girlfriend and got a new one."
a new toilet or a new girlfriend?

Author: sum (FL)

I assumed a new shampoo bottle with a new cap.

Author: SpentPenny (KS)

Not a plumber but can tell you from experience that you can fool around with the stiff auger and break your toilet. That china is not bullet-proof, and if you break the bowl you can end up with a $hit show on the bathroom floor...

Author: srloren (CA)

SpentPenny is correct.....be very careful and take plenty of time on this type of stoppage.

Author: hj (AZ)

A new toilet would be a LOT less expensive than a new girl friend, especially if you also discarded the old one.

Author: vic (CA)

Good one hj.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.