Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet won't flush, slowly leaks away, a little from the base
Author: K65 (WI)

I recently had my roof replaced,the roofer installed a standard lead boot vent which replaced the nearly four foot tall vent that had been there. Shortly after this the toilet on the second floor stopped working. It would slowly drain, I tried using the dish soap and hot water and also the plunger. Water would slowly seep away. I also tried doing the 5 gallon pail of water flush which resulted in water coming through the ceiling below the bathroom. I finally called the plumber he snaked the toilet and it flushed normally for a couple of days. Then the same issue where the bowl would just fill up and slowly seep away. I think I broke the wax seal when I tried plunging as water does seep onto the floor around the toilet after Flushing. I told my plumber that it wasn't working again and about the roof & vent being replaced. He recommended having someone come to blow out the air vent on the roof because something from the roofing project may have fallen into the vent. This will cost about $500 on top of the $110 already charged to snake the toilet. if the blowing out of the air vent does not solve the problem he said it might be a problem with the toilet itself needing to be replaced. There is a smell of sewer gas which I know is an indication of the broken wax ring. I have tried to use toilet auger twice myself but water still will not drain. I don't understand how the toilet could be snaked and work and then suddenly not work. I have been told there is no reason to have a 4 foot stack on the roof for the air vent but I don't know why it was there. Also from what I have read even if the vent going to the roof is clogged it shouldn't keep the toilet from Flushing . I don't know which way to go it seems like this project will cost hundreds of dollars before I figure out what is wrong. But I do need to do something about the smell of sewer gas & get the toilet working. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!!

Edited 2 times.

Re: Toilet won't flush, slowly leaks away, a little from the base
Author: DaveMill (CA)

>I think I broke the wax seal when I tried plunging as water does seep onto the floor around the toilet after Flushing.

This strongly implies a clog remains BEFORE the T. A clogged vent would not build up sufficient pressure to burst the wax ring.

>he snaked the toilet and it flushed normally for a couple of days. Then the same issue...

This implies there was a clog and that he PARTIALLY cleared it.

>From what I have read even if the vent going to the roof is clogged it shouldn't keep the toilet from Flushing

What you read was wrong or misinterpreted. But this does not sound like a roof vent issue, because the slow drain returned. Unless he snaked the vent too.

Three years ago our tennant told us they had a super slow toilet drain, they had cleared it before with drano (into the septic tank frowning ) but the slow drain had returned. I tried a big bellows plunger, which turned the slow drain into a total stoppage. When I removed the toilet I found 18 inches of solid clog (ugh). My bellows plunger had compressed the mass into a solid clog. Very nasty mess to clear. Tampon at the bottom.

Author: K65 (WI)

That sounds like a terrible clog!! =(
Thank you for sharing.
So would your advice be to remove the toilet and try opening the clog from that position? Sorry I am a complete novice at Plumbing and I have lost my faith in the plumber that I first tired. He did not try to open the roof vent only did the snaking from inside the toilet

Edited 1 times.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

You said you think you broke the wax ring. Toilet removal is in your future regardless.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

The wax seal had to be marginal if plunging broke the seal. Reset the toilet with a Jumbo wax ring if the flange is level with the tile or lower. Yes, a clogged roof vent will prevent a toilet from flushing properly.
The way to check is to remove the trap on the lav sink in the same bathroom. If the toilet flushes normally, you need to clear the roof vent. If it still does'nt flush right, you have a partially clogged drain line.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.