Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Moisture mystery behind sink cabinet
Author: sum (FL)

I have a rental unit where the apartment shares a common wall with another unit, the two units have identical, but mirror image floor plans. So across my tub is their tub, across my kitchen sink is their etc...

My tenant told me recently that there is an uptick in roach appearance lately, and it appears they are always found near the common wall where both apartments have kitchens and bathrooms. I went there today for a quick 30 minute inspection along that entire wall, pulled out stove, refrigerator, looked under the sink etc...and I suspect there is a leak behind the kitchen.

A related (or unrelated story), the owner of the other side a few weeks ago asked me if I am aware of any leak on my side. I said I haven't heard any complaints, but he said his tenant told him the wall feels wet and spongy. A few days later I asked him whether the issue was resolved he said yes, and it was a broken leaking dishwasher drain hose that ran behind the wall. No idea how long it has been leaking, and sending food debris into the common space.

Back to my end, I discovered there is some deformation of the cabinet back and bottom. The back feels wet at the bottom. I am reasonably sure it wasn't like this before.

See pictures below.

Of course, this moisture could be from something that leaked inside the sink cabinet, like may be my tenant spilled a jar of bleach or detergent, but being that it seems to be directly below the drain is suspicious to me. It could also be the spilled dishwasher hose from next door, but this is about 4" above the slab I am not so convinced this is related to the dishwasher hose leak.

So my guess is this is probably a kitchen drain leak behind the wall and the water runs back to the back side of the wood and down? The front side is bone dry.

The pipe behind the wall is 1.5" copper drain. What is the least instrusive/destructive way to determine what's going on? Use a hole saw and drill say a 3" hole on the back wall right under the drain stub out? And if there is nothing wrong then use the cut out circle to patch it back? Or to remove the entire cabinet back since it's warped anyway?

Re: Moisture mystery behind sink cabinet
Author: steve (CA)

You can start with a hole saw and see what the drywall looks like. If the whole back panel is warped, I would think that's because it's all had a lot of moisture and probably best to just replace the whole back of it and also check for the roach infestation.

Author: Marko1 (MO)

If you needed a larger inspection hole could you just leave a few inches around each edge of the back panel and replace when done with a sheet of "marlite" or whatever it's called in your area...(the thin fiberglass like plastic panel that's often used in commercial/public bathroom walls). would be cleanable and impervious to any future water leaks? either glue (permanent) or screw (removable) to the edges left around the cutout?

Author: srloren (CA)

As you can imagine Mold is a dangerous health hazard. You must use caution and remove any material containing moisture and dry out the general area thoroughly no matter the cost.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.