Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sewer pvc
Author: Marko1 (MO)

Can I splice short piece of white pvc dwv to green pvc sewer pipe?
Is there a reason you can't use the white stuff underground?
thanks,
marko

Re: sewer pvc
Author: steve (CA)

You need to check what local code states as acceptable.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the "green stuff" is acceptable, almost anything else is also. Usually, the green stuff is only used outside the building and it is a smaller o.d. than most of the white PVC.

Oh heck, if the green is smaller o.d. then the white coupler probably won't work right?

Correct, different OD.

Now I'm starting to wonder if it might have been the fernco leaking and not my stupid tire patch clay bell joint leaking. Hard to see it because I'm in the bottom of a 14-in wide 3-ft deep trench with just a few inches under the pipe so I can't really see what's going on just trying to feel with my fingers underneath the pipe. But since you're saying that the green pipe is a smaller OD then standard PVC and the fernco is designed for the standard PVC it may be that I didn't get it tight enough on the skinnier green PVC.

Author: hj (AZ)

Very good possibility.

Author: hi (TX)

The Coronavirus the green PVC pipe is typically meant for sewer non-pressure use only. It is schedule 35 where your standard PVC pipe is schedule 40. I believe the regular fittings do work. I might suggest that you're using a fernco connector to clay that you may extend the PVC and to the clay pipe as far as you can go because the leak area of courses the fernco it's flexible and prone to leak. Sometimes if you can insert the pipe into the clay pipe several feet it'll greatly strengthen the connection there.
A couple of types of this type are available. The standard one is solvent weld such as regular PVC, there's another one that has a bell molding on one end, and there is even one that has a gasket. Standard lengths are 10 foot and even 20-foot length. The 20-foot length of course greatly reduce the amount of joints which of course of the weak areas that are prone to leaking break. This is a little bit more flexible in the schedule 40. If you have ever seen a trenchless system put in that is usually a 4 in schedule 40 PVC or ABS. Actually fairly flexible and will not break end. With the schedule 35 I recommend that you make sure that you better than a nice soft bedding of possibly sand to support the pipe

Edited 1 times.

It's not "schedule 35", it's "SDR 35". The OD of 4" SDR 35 is 4.215" vs Sch 40 at 4.5". You need special fittings for SDR pipe.

Author: hi (TX)

SCHEDULE 40 DRAIN-WASTE-VENT PVC PIPE
This line of pipe and fittings is designed for non-pressurized applications. With slightly shorter glue joints than the pressure-rated pipe and fittings, this line is very commonly used in gravity fed septic systems, drainage, stormwater management, air vents, and more. It is compatible with all Schedule and Schedule 80 fittings.

SDR 35 PIPE
Used mainly in stormwater and drainage applications, SDR 35 is a medium-strength pipe that falls between Schedule 20 and Schedule 40 PVC pipe. It comes in 14’ lengths, and is compatible with the standard SDR 35 gasketed fittings, as well as Schedule 20 glue fittings.

SCHEDULE 20 PVC PIPE
This is our lowest strength PVC pipe, and is most commonly used in gravity fed septic systems, drainage, and stormwater projects. The wall of the pipe is much lighter than that of Schedule 40, and must only be used in situations where vehicles, traffic, or any other type of equipment crossing the area will not be a factor. The outside diameter is the same as SDR 35, and is compatible with all Schedule 20 and SDR 35 fittings

Steve thank you for the correction. I'm not an expert by a farm at some people think that schedule 40 is used because it flexes more but I tend to think that it is more likely to crack and collapse over the course of the 30 to 40 years. What's your thoughts?

SDR is more flexible than sch 40 and is used because of this. Some local codes require it instead of sch 40.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.