Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Wet vent toilet using end of branch instead of wye
Author: encinoman (CA)

Instead of using a rolled wye above the center line, is it valid to wet vent through the end of a branch where the clean out would have been?

Like this
[ibb.co]

Re: Wet vent toilet using end of branch instead of wye
Author: packy (MA)

Quarter Bends with Heel or Side-Inlet
1. You may not use a heel-inlet quarter bend to change flow direction from vertical to horizontal if the fitting serves a toilet. You may use a heel-inlet quarter bend to change flow direction from horizontal to vertical without restrictions.
2. You may not connect wet vented fixtures to the low heel inlet of a heel-inlet quarter bend.
3. You may use the side-inlet of a quarter bend to change the fl ow direction when the inlet is horizontal (side facing), but not when the inlet is vertical (facing up). The side-inlet may accept drainage flow from any fixture except a toilet. Side and heel inlets are usually 1 ½ or 2 inch openings and you may not connect a toilet to any opening less than (<winking smiley 3 inches.
4. You may connect a dry vent to the quarter bend side or heel-inlet only when the inlet is vertical (facing up). You may connect a dry vent to a quarter bend side or heel-inlet when the inlet is horizontal (side facing) only when the entire quarter bend fitting is used as part of a dry vent.

Packy, appreciate the response as always. For this scenario I’m not trying to understand if side inlets can be used, this is a different out of the box question. The link above to the picture could help. But take a 5 feet horizontal branch from left to right. Right end connects to stack. Left end has a clean out. Toilet dumps into the horizontal line. If instead of the clean out at the far left of the drain, a lav drains into this without using a wye, but using a long sweep 90 or equivalent, is this still valid wet venting for the toilet? Wet venting needs to break above the center line of the drain or drop from top but not sure what this makes it doing it like this.

Author: steve (CA)

I see no difference in using a rolled/pointing up wye or a sweep 90*. Are you allowed to delete the C/O or are you going to relocate it to the vertical pipe?

Author: packy (MA)

there is a concern of a vent pipe getting blocked over the years.
rolling a "Y" up minimizes that possibility.
venting a toilet out the back of a 90 is not allowed if it is a dry vent because it will eventually block up.
a wet vent will 'wash' the vent pipe to keep it functioning.
if the vent gets blocked, the wet venting fixture will not drain alerting you so you will have to snake the drain restoring the flow and the venting as well.
so according to what i copied for you, you are good to go with a wet vent.

Steve, Nope I can’t place an accessible clean out on that branch. Which is why I want to use the 90 and not wye with a clean out. I don’t want to chance something potentially sitting in that portion near the clean out that won’t get washed. Hope that logic is okay.

Packy, sounds like what you posted a long sweep 90 at the end of a branch cant be used for wet venting to catch the lav unless I use the side or heel inlet proper quarter bends. With the tight space/joists and directions of piping, a side or heel inlet can’t be used under the toilet. I think you may be picturing access under the toilet to vent it like that but the only thing that can be vented is the horizontal branch and I can’t use stack venting in this scenario.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.