Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 4" clay sewer pipe, with what to caulk/seal pipe section to bell
Author: Marko1 (MO)

I need to put a 6" stub of 4" clay pipe into a 4" clay bell end to connect my new pvc to with a fernco.
The pvc came up 6" short of being able to cut off the bell and hook directly to the remaining pipe section.
So rather than buy another 10' run of pvc to use 6" of and throw away the rest I was going to use a short extension on the clay to make up the gap.
The original clay sections appeared to use something like mortar to seal the connection.
I thought I could caulk it with silicone or latex caulk but with 1/2" thick by 1.5 to 2" deep caulk joint thought it might never actually cure.
Is there a "right" way?
Thanks as always in advance.
marko

edit: what about expandable foam?
edit 2: or fibrous roof patch...tar with fibers to patch roof leaks>

Edited 2 times.

Re: 4" clay sewer pipe, with what to caulk/seal pipe section to bell
Author: steve (CA)

How about cutting off the bell and using a longer piece of clay pipe, using a shielded coupling on either end?

Thanks Steve for the reply.
That would have been better, dang I wish I'd thought of that.
I ended up using roof tar on top of twisted plastic bags for backer rod.
Waited as long as I could to see if I got any ideas here but had to get it done.
Really appreciate your chiming in.

well what do you know? my brilliant idea didn't work. not sure if the leak is from the fernco conx or the tar seal in the bell... :-(

Author: sum (FL)

you can't tell where it's leaking from?

if you have to take it apart I would use steve's recommendation for a cleaner fix. Can you make a clean cut of the clay pipe without shattering or cracking it? Angle grinder with a diamond wheel?

Yes that is what I use to cut the clay tile cleanly. and that's what I'm going to have to do I'll just need to get another section of the green sewer pipe to cut off a short piece with the bell and then make the connection with another fernco. Thanks to all for your ideas.

Author: steve (CA)

Do you have any more clay pipe that you could use instead of the green SDR pvc?

Thanks to everyone clap

I ended up getting one more stick of the green pipe just to use the bell and cut the bell off the clay pipe and used a new fernco and it is now done.

Thanks to everyone for your advice

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.