Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rattling pipes after installing new basement shower valve
Author: jwbpdx (OR)

Hey all,
I'm stumped! We're re-doing our basement guest bathroom in our tri-level house; the guest bathroom is in the lowest area of the home. I shut off house water main; replaced the entire shower valve (re-soldered & moved over 8 inches and restrapped/secured); and turned the water back on....now we have a slight rattling in the pipes somewhere above the shower stall everytime any faucet in the entire home is turned on & off. I re-checked all strapping I installed and even cut into the ceiling above to see if I could see any loose pipes there, but everthing is secure. I can feel the "rattle" in the hot & cold lines to the shower, but the pipes aren't moving.
I've since shut off the water; drained the entire home line and re filled, but still no change....
Am I missing something?? If it's just an "air hammer", wouldn't the draining of the water main have solved??

I am POSITIVE there was never any rattling pipes in our home for the 10+ years we've been here until now. House is a 2300 sq. foot Tri-Level, built in 1977. Copper pipes; 1/2''

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. I've got the entire shower remodel "on hold" for fear that any work may be undone to access something.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Rattling pipes after installing new basement shower valve
Author: bernabeu (SC)

presumably you strapped OVER the insulation on the new piping

no insulation = piping is directly contacting structure and 'may' be noisy

piping should never, repeat NEVER, directly contact structure albeit most consumer construction doe not follow good practice, merely minimum code

read it and weep, find where the piping is NOW, after being disturbed, touching structure and INSULATE same

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: jwbpdx (OR)

Thanks for the quick reply. The strapping is insulated and I've even tried adding some 1/4'' foam strips at the bands to help absorb any residual rattles...doesn't muffle or help. Seems to be emanating from somewhere above the new plumbing I just installed; in between the floors.

Another quick question; am I missing something in my draining procedure??
-shut off water
-open all fixtures beginning at top level working down.
-let ALL water evacuate
-close bottom floor fixture; then close all other fixtures
-turn back on supply water.
-open all fixtures beginning at top level working down

Thanks again for any help or ideas...

Author: ajay (Canada)

i would try to open the fixtures from the bottom upwards in the last cycle.

also has the water pressure increased by any chance in your area/house?

think about a air chamber

good luck

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.