Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 hot water out of cold faucet
Author: lisak (IL)

I am not a plumber so please bare with me because I don't know the proper terms. I have been dealing with a very complex issue that numerous plumbers and managers can't fix. When I turn on the cold water, it turns very hot and after about a minute, turns back cold. I have put in a new hot water heater and new shower valves and nothing changed. It's not a furnace issue or piping issue according to plumbers.The house is only 7 years old and I had no problems until February. It is a townhome but all the piping is separate and nobody in my row is experiencing plumbing issues. There are some warm spots on the floor but the plumbers don't think its a slab issue. There is no basement. sI don't want to pay for all thee plumbers to come look at the issue, charge me, and then say sorry, can't help so I thought I would see if any of you have ever dealt with this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: hot water out of cold faucet
Author: packy (MA)

difficult to say without being there. you have a cross connection somewhere.
but, the most common places to look are for a recirculating HW line that has a faulty check valve or a shower valve that has an internal problem.
grab the shower valve as close to the wall as you can to see if it feels hot after not being used for a number of hours.
also look around the water heater for a circulating pump. also feel the pipes around the heater to see ifthe hot outlet pipe is always hot to the touch.

Author: hj (AZ)

Plumbers don't THINK it is a slab leak? They either KNOW or don't, but what you describe DOES sound like a slab leak. You may need better plumbers.

Author: srloren (CA)

If you have copper tubing rolled under your slab it is probably a leak near that hot spot on the floor. I would install PEX if you have an attic. Eliminate copper entirely.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.