Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain Mystery
Author: Lavin (VA)

Here’s the setup...We’ve got 1 half-bath and laundry room on the main floor, and 2 full baths on the second floor.

Yesterday, the shower and the sink drains in one of the two upper bathrooms suddenly became clogged. The toilet was not affected, nor were any other toilet or sink in any of the other rooms.

I used white vinegar and baking soda followed by hot water in each of the two drains. After waiting a while, I flushed the toilet in the main floor bathroom, which was not clogged. After this toilet flushed, I heard an extra gurgling from the second floor. I went back upstairs and found the sink and shower drain to be completely cleared.

So...can anyone explain what happened here? I’m really delighted but quite puzzled. Thanks for your insights.

LM

Re: Drain Mystery
Author: sum (FL)

not a pro here but here is my guess. Your plumbing system is all interconnected.

when one part of the line becomes clogged, it may prevent access to air to another part of the drain that is not clogged. Without the ability to vent, when you flushed the toilet, it either creates positive pressure ahead of it or negative pressure behind it as the water runs down the drain. This pressure may have dislodged the blockage. You may not be all clear. It may have partially dislodged the blockage, or only moved it a bit down the pipe, and may create a blockage again as more debris is sent down.

Thanks for your response. That makes s lot of sense.

Author: NP16 (OR)

maybe your acid - base reaction did clear the clog? Now to prevent this from happening again you or someone else could run a cable through the shower drain and then through the hand sink drain. Wouldn't need to go far because these are just branches to the main drain. Likely the cable will retrieve some hair.

Right. I admit to being delinquent on routine unclogging. My bad.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.