Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Do I have to cut out the wall behind my tub in order to replace my faucet
Author: nancyaileen (SC)

I have seen some internet videos, where you can just remove the tub escutcheon and replace the valve behind the faucet. Mine is narrow and rectangular, and the ones I saw on the videos were big and round. I have found a likely faucet which I have matched up to the picture of the one I have. I think the spout to the faucet may screw off, but I do not know if that will make it possible to take the whole unit off or not. I really would like to avoid cutting out the wall behind it if I could avoid it. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Edited 4 times.

Re: Do I have to cut out the wall behind my tub in order to replace my faucet
Author: steve (CA)

What is on the wall behind the valve? What material is the supply piping made of? Why do you want to change the valve(different trim design?)? I think replacement of a valve assembly, without opening up a wall, is a job geared more for a professional. You need to post your pics to a site that you can link to.
[www.plbg.com]

Author: steve_g (CA)

Patching a wall is a lot easier than trying to replace a mixer thru the wet wall.

Author: hi (TX)

Nights are forever side of a wall is just sheetrock it is very easy to repair that where you cannot even tell it. Much easier than going through tile or making one of the remodel plates on the front. Please consider that

I'm sorry. I forgot to say that part of my tub faucet was broken. I had been trying to find replacement parts. Then I decided that I needed to just replace the faucet. I had some people tell me that I needed to go behind the wall in case I had to replace the valve. I did not see anything that I recognized as an access panel, so I thought that I needed to cut a hole into the wall in order to replace the faucet.

Then I found the screws, similar to the ones in another room's closet, where the access panel was white. This access panel was made out of a whole wallpapered, floor to ceiling panel. After I unscrewed the access panel behind the tub, I didn't even see anything I recognized as a valve. Do I still need a new valve? There are two pictures below of the area behind the access panel.

Also, I was able to see water damage, and that the spout did not seem to be fastened on by anything, but the parts of the wall behind the handles and the shower head, had nuts and washers on them. I had already checked the spout for a set screw, and I thought that since the faucet looked like one complete piece that it was unlikely to be a screw in spout. I am confused about how the spout is attached. Then, I found a second faucet online after I finally found the brand name. This was after I rubbed off a little caulking on the top of the old faucet. The information said the second new faucet was all one piece. That is why I am still not sure, how the spout is fastened on.

Thank you for sending me the link to upload pictures.

Old Faucet

First New Faucet
The Second New Faucet

Thanks, I found the access panel anyway.

There is no tile, and I found the access panel anyway. What do you mean about the sheet rock? There is water damage under the tub, and I may have to cut away some of the wall behind the access panel in order to get at the damaged floor underneath the tub, which also seems a little soft in the bathroom in front of the tub. the majority of the floor damage seems to be in front of the front tub supports. There seem to be eight tub supports in total. I probably have to take out the acrylic tub, and I may get a professional in the long run, but I am stuck at home now with an elderly mother because of the coronavirus.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you need the second new faucet

the 'swap out' is an easy job for any handy-man/person

? under the tub can wait for a while ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

That sure looks like a mobile home faucet. The spout is part of the faucet. Replacing it with the same type of faucet is pretty straightforward. Shut off the water. Unscrew both supply line nuts and disconnect the nut in the middle that takes water up to the showerhead. Unscrew the two nuts holding the faucet in and remove the faucet. There may be caulk holding it to the wall. Install the new faucet in the reverse order. Good luck.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.