Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 exterior wall plumbing question
Author: buickspec6231 (NY)

I have a question about a bathroom plumbing idea. The issue is I have designed a bathroom setup and my girlfriend has designed a different bathroom setup. Guess who's opinion is stronger?

Anyway, the bathroom style she wants is a walk in shower where there is no shower door, just a 2/3 glass wall. The issue comes with the layout of the other fixtures. The way she wants the shower layout would put all the plumbing in the exterior wall. Thats obviously not going to work. We definitely live in an area where the pipes could freeze. Her reason for wanting the plumbing on that wall is because then it is a clear path from door to shower with no obstacles to go around (i.e. - toilet).

In an attempt to compromise, I was wondering if I could install the mixing valve and supply lines in the interior wall, and then run the mixed water up the interior wall, through a conditioned attic space, and down inside the exterior wall. My thought for doing this is two-parted. First and most important was that I was thinking that once the water was shut off at the mixing valve that the water in the shower head would drain out, leaving the exterior wall plumbing empty after use. Although, I don't know for sure if the shower head would drain or if it would act like a straw with my finger over the end when raised out of a drinking glass. The other benefit I thought of doing the plumbing this way, is that you could set your water temperature from out of the spray path and walk into the water when you are ready, instead of dodging the water when you turned on the valves.
She's pretty set on the doorless shower setup, and I do like the look of it. I'm just kicking ideas around and trying to come up with reasonable solutions. I have also thought about creating a false wall and running the plumbing up through that, which could allow it to stay on the exterior side of the shower? A rainfall shower head from the ceiling is also not an option. Neither of us like them. No matter what I do, everything has an inspection to it and must meet code.

Sorry for the lengthy message. I'm open to criticism and suggestions (However, I will not dump my girlfriend on your suggestion).

This is how I thought might work. Sorry for the terrible drawing, hopefully it gets the point across.

Bathroom layout.

Edited 1 times.

Re: exterior wall plumbing question
Author: steve (CA)

I didn't review the drawings, but you could put in a diverter(for shower head, toe or both)and a "toe-test" spout on the interior wall and the water would drain out when in "both" mode.

Re: exterior wall plumbing question
Author: mackzien (CA)

Image links deleted due to linking to another forum.

Please refer to [www.plbg.com] for instructions on how to show an image.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.