Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathroom Remodel layout
Author: lukesor (CO)

All, thank you for the help.

I am remodeling a bathroom and fall under IPC 2018 and was hoping that folks could look over the design below and let me know if this was code compliant and if follows good practice. Basically I was wondering if the proposed layout worked as a wet vent system or if I needed to open the wall and run new individual vents. Any suggestions are welcome.

[drive.google.com]

[drive.google.com]

[drive.google.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Bathroom Remodel layout
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you will need to add a vent for the toilet which previously was wet vented by the lavatory

you will need to relocate the tub's vent as well, which possibly could act as the new wet vent for the toilet

but

you may as well individual fixture vent as per 'best practice' as you need to open the wall(s) anyway

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

i'm gonna say you are OK.

the toilet and shower are stack vented.

the sink does not need a vent if it is within 5 ft of the stack. (ma code).

the concern here is the flushing toilet water will syphon the shower trap.

that will never happen because of the 3 inch vent thru the roof.

if the shower was on the downstream side of the toilet, that would be a no/no.

what you have is the shower is connected to the toilet vent.

yep, as packy stated, you meet the MINIMUM code requirement

however

? why would you not want best practice by individually fixture venting on NEW DIY WORK ?

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it was meeting the minimum but didn't know for sure and if so if it is what I should do. For learning sake can you explain the risks/drawbacks of the single stack vent vs benefits of individual vents? If I install individual vents would you recommend demo'ing out the existing 3" and tying into a single vent header in option 1 or leave the existing 3" and tie in individual bath and toilet vents as in option 2?

[drive.google.com]
[drive.google.com]

I appreciate the feedback as trying to learn the benefits of different approaches.

Edited 1 times.

opt 1 = toilet is wet vented by sink, sink & bath are dry (individual) vented

opt 2 = best practice toilet dry (individual) vented as is the sink & bath

YOU are providing the labor

YOU are spending a few pennies more in material

YOU will build a 'best practice' plumbing group

YOU (and your wallet) will know the difference 'down the road' as no individual fixture stoppage will affect the venting/flow of another fixture .............. smiling smiley

Makes sense and I would much rather to it right the first time. Looks like my design is coming along and just a few more clarifications.

[drive.google.com]

1. Is 1 1/2" sufficient for all of the venting header?
2. Is a 3" wye and 1/8 the appropriate fitting to go to toilet? No need for closet fitting in this case, correct?
3. I know the 2" for bath/shower combo is more than required but seems like less chance of future issues.
4. Any other recommended changes?

Edited 1 times.

run as much vent in 2" as possible

if the sink drain is 1-1/2 run THAT 'riser vent' in 1-1/2

remember to pitch the vents juuust slightly downhill towards the fixtures for condensate run-off (no pockets)

a y and 1/8th is just fine

Author: packy (MA)

just keep all the vents 2 inch.
everything looks top shelf..

Thank you thumbs

Thank you both for the help. Much appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

Re: inspector?

After reviewing the code a bit more I have a few more questions.

1. There are currently no clean outs and I wasn't planning on adding any. Is this an issue?
2. The existing installation changes from pvc to abs and back quite a bit. Will the inspector have an issue with this?

[drive.google.com]

[drive.google.com]

Edited 2 times.

After reviewing the code a bit more I have a few more questions.

1. There are currently no clean outs and I wasn't planning on adding any. Is this an issue?
2. The existing installation changes from pvc to abs and back quite a bit. Will the inspector have an issue with this?

[drive.google.com]

[drive.google.com]

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.