Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 DWV under bathroom sink; DIY project.
Author: critter519 (NJ)

Can I join a new 1 1/2" OD wall arm with p-trap to an existing 2" OD stubout? I have everything dry-fit with a Marvel threaded PVC stubout adapter, but when I'm looking at it, something just doesn't look right. Any comments will be appreciated.

Re: DWV under bathroom sink; DIY project.
Author: packy (MA)

should work...

Author: steve (CA)

What was the original intended purpose of the 2" stub?

Bathroom vanity sink drain.

steve, it is not a 2 inch stubout.
it is a 2 inch OD.

The only 2" OD PVC pipe I've seen in a house was for central vacuum systems.

Author: sum (FL)

may be the stub out is not a pipe but a fitting so the OD is the fitting's OD?

[postimg.cc]
[postimg.cc]
[postimg.cc]
Click on image link for clarity. Hope this helps. If anyone can advise as to posting images, I'll be grateful.

Edited 1 times.

that is plain old 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe.
the fitting you have is exactly what you need.

The in-wall pipe is 1 1/2" schedule 40 and the trap arm is 1 1/2" tubular. As Packy stated, good to go.

Thank you

Thank you, gentleman, for your time and consideration. Your comments and advice are much appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

you should finish the wall before putting on the trap adapter to avoid having to cut a larger than necessary hole, also it will be difficult to put on escutcheons behind the supply valves. Will it be a pedestal sink or a vanity cabinet?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

OP: you are good to go, finish the wall after testing complete

sum and OP;

bell escutcheon for the waste + split escutcheons for the supplies will be good to go

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Yes he can use split escutcheons for the supplies. However, if he is using a vanity cabinet he would have to cut extra large holes to fit over those soldered on valves anyway.

If I went through this much trouble to open up the wall to expose everything, even if it's DIY project I think there are a number of simple things he should consider improving which are difficult to do once the wall is closed back up. For example:

(1) That 90 PVC elbow could be a long turn elbow. Cost $2.

(2) the copper supplies are not strapped in anyway, one is held against the back of the wall with shim between the drain and supply. I would be tempted to do something to add in a piece of lumber somewhere. Or Use I don't know what they are called those copper plates with holes all along that you nail to the stud face to stabilize and align the pipes and just solder the pipe's outside to the plate.

(3) I would also eliminate the soldered valves, change it to either a threaded or compression connection, and use quarter turn valves instead. In the process he can cut the holes just a tad bigger than the pipe and use regular escutcheons. Otherwise if he ever has a broken valve he will be a challenge to unsolder those valves inside a tight wood cabinet.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

there ya go again ... talkin' like a plumber

grinning smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.