Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New bar sink in attic addition - can I tie into a vent line?
Author: tdkehoe (TX)

I am adding a media room to some attic space above the garage and I would like to add a small bar sink. Supply is PEX so that is easy.... Drainage is a different story. There is a vent line going through the roof about 5 feet away that is above a bathroom. The space would be very difficult to access. There is an 3/4" AC condensate drain about 2' away that is easy to access. Obviously, I'm tempted to just drain it through the condensate drain, being a very small bar sink... (Makes it easier to pour the monthly bleach down it!) But I know it is not correct. What is the proper way to do this? Or, do I just go without a sink...

Thank you in advance...

Re: New bar sink in attic addition - can I tie into a vent line?
Author: hj (AZ)

Nothing that you have there, now, makes it easier to drain a sink, because NONE of them are drains and you cannot convert a vent into a drain without doing a lot of other work also.

Author: packy (MA)

if you did what you want, any time you drain the bar sink it would likely back up into the condensate pan.
you have a tough situation to drain the sink according to code.

if the stack is 3 or 4 inch you could probably drain the small bar sink into it and although not done according to code you probably would have no trouble at all.
since we are violating codes, we might as well go for broke.
drill a hole in the stack and use an illegal saddle fitting.
[www.google.com]

Author: sum (FL)

an AC condensate drain line may not even be tied to your sewer, it may just dump outside.

Author: NoHub (MA)

sum,it can be tied into the sewer indirectly and can't be dumped outside around here...we have this thing called winter around here,an condensate freezes.

the way this year is going, it can freeze in the spring too.

OP is in Texas so no idea if he is in a winter zone. But in FL it's usually piped alongside the refrigerant line to the compressor outside and discharged there once it gets past the roof drip line. If it's discharged inside it will run to a floor drain or something similar.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Packy I've never seen those saddle fittings for drains. Are they illegal everywhere or only in Mass? Do they really work or do they leak all the time?

My big lesson learned from DIY in both plumbing and electrical is that just because you can buy it in the store doesn't mean it's code compliant...and sometimes the special "thing" you need to be code compliant in a given scenario you can only buy at the supply house.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

LI Guy, saddle fittings are illegal under MA code. i don't know about anywhere else but i'm guessing no code allows them.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no code that i know either

reason:

think "smooth integral bore"

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

And no directional flow.

hj,

actually sold @ 'wallyworld'

frowning

I have used the PVC weld on saddle fitting which is a tee with half a pipe cut off, but it's to add a branch in a 1-1)2" sprinkler line and I don't care if it leaks a little.

I am sure it seals both ENDS, but does nothing to clamp the center to the pipe.

HJ,

my point was that there ARE directional 'saddle fittings'

the fitting in ? has internally embedded metallic braces running lengthwise

even Fernco makes them

[www.bing.com]

HOWEVER

for 'most' plumbing applications they are NOT code compliant

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.