Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot water feels oily, can't rinse conditioner out of hair
Author: kmiller (MA)

I noticed in late February that even immediately after washing my hair, it felt and looked greasy and that my bath water felt as though it had a bit of bath oil in it. The town water department thought that it might have to do with my water heater.

Before I got around to having it flushed, I noticed that it was leaking from the bottom. I had it replaced on March 17, but the problem persists.

The town tested my water on March 30. The following day they told me that all was normal, except that the hot water was a few points higher in Ph level. The cold water is 7.80, while the hot is 9.96.
The result of the test are below.

I don't know if the higher pH level, iron, manganese or alkalinity has something to do with not being able to rinse the conditioner out, and I am left with an oily residue in my hair. If I just shampoo, I don't have the problem. Likewise, if I rinse with cold water only, I don't have the problem.

My house was built in 1947 and has copper pipes. The city service lines are cast iron and at least 70 years old, as are those from the street. I don't see any sheen or film on the water, but I do feel it--only with the hot water. I don't notice any odor.

Thanks!

Results of water quality test are below:

_______________Cold Water__________________________________________Hot Water

pH________________7.80_______________________________________________9.96
Alk________________28________________________________________________36
Turb._____________0.96_______________________________________________0.96
Color______________18________________________________________________18
Fe________________0.53mg/L___________________________________________0.33mg/L
Mn________________0.006 mg/L_________________________________________0.008 mg/L
Conductivity______183 uS_____________________________________________203 uS

Re: Hot water feels oily, can't rinse conditioner out of hair
Author: NoHub (MA)

First question.Are the neighbors having the same Problem?....ask 3 or 4 not just 1.

No, they aren't. I've asked those on both sides and one up the street. One of my next-door neighbors has noticed that her water has been more discolored than usual--we always have a little discoloration that I assume comes from rust.

Author: packy (MA)

when ever i have a request from a customer to install a filter, i never tell them which one to get.

i (and i assume many here) just do not know enough about what is in a water supply to recommend what type filter is needed to remove what needs to be removed.

i can tell you that if your piping is copper and the water heater is new that none of what you experiencing is coming from inside your home.

does your city/town have a water dept engineer who can interpret those results?

if not, e-mail them to a large water filter manufacturer so they can give you their opinion.

Author: NoHub (MA)

If your neighbor is having the same problem it's not just your hot water.Your cold water pipes don't store 40 gallons of water like your water heater does.When that amount of water in a large vessel just sits there not being used any rust or sediment will settle to the bottom of the tank...when you turn on your hot water spout it(the rust) gets kicked up from the bottom of the tank thus you notice it more.I would have to say a simple rust & sediment filter on the main might do the trick.As far as the Greasy feeling (?) can't help you with that. The Problem you are having does occur at the end of municipal water run's (farthest in the water system supply)

Edited 1 times.

Thanks. One possibility that I've found is that bacteria may have begun to grow somewhere in the pipes--if, by chance, there was an air bubble in there somehow. The city said that they might be willing to do a test for bacteria, but asked me to call back in a few weeks. Does that sound possible? That it's coming from bacteria that is growing the the pipe somewhere either leading to or from the water heater?

Thanks.

Author: sum (FL)

are your neighbors you asked using the same brand of conditioner you are using?

you said if you just shampoo no issue, or if you rinse with only cold water no issue. May be look into whether it may be the actual conditioner, if it may be too strong, or you used too much of it, or even if the temperature is not optimum for conditioners. Here is from a hair care article "there's an ideal temperature to wash your hair at to avoid build up and grease. Because super hot water stimulates the sebaceous gland, which secretes oil, your hair will look and feel greasier if you take hot showers. Wash your hair with warm water to allow your shampoos and conditioners to penetrate your hair follicles, and then finish with a cool rinse instead."

Author: packy (MA)

cities and towns chlorinate the water supply. sometimes more sometimes less but they constantly check for bacteria.
as for your water heater, turn the temperature up very high overnight.
be awfully careful when you turn on a faucet because you can get scalded.
put the heater setting back where it was and let the water run at all faucets and showers for a minute or two.
this should take care of the heater and the hot water piping.

I'd thought that might be the case too, but I've tried many others. Also, I'd been using the conditioner for years before this happened. I suspect that either there's some reason the water's won't rinse the oils that are in conditioners or that something in the hot water is reacting to the chemicals in the conditioner--something affecting the water's solvency properties.

Good idea. Thanks!

Author: mobazikin (FL)

Hmm, I don't even know what else to advise you.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.