Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Test sewage line
Author: Thedane (FL)

I have to move my drain 2 feet in 2 places
1 for a freestanding tub and another for a linear drain
This of course require to cut both sewage lines, put a 45 on the lines and glue the new lines in place with ptrap
my permit said I have to have it under pressure for first inspection
Who do I pressure test just past the first glue joint(apx 2 feet) without testing the whole house

Thank you

Re: Test sewage line
Author: steve (CA)

Insert a test tee and use a screw-in balloon plug. Have the tee opening facing up. Replace the balloon after testing with a screw in plug.

Author: packy (MA)

5 PSI is what is required under most codes.
so you need some sort of gauge set up so you can put compressed air into the work and watch that the gauge doesn't lose any pressure.

Author: NP16 (OR)

I've been a plumber now for 12 years. never tested a drain with air.
always use water and try to get a 10 foot head.

in some cases where it's impossible to close off the system a running test is all I can do.

Some codes won't allow air testing plastic pipe.

Author: packy (MA)

no air test ??????

try doing new construction around northern new england.

call for a rough inspection during january.

schedule the inspector for wednesday. that wednesday the temperature is below zero and the only heat in the building is a couple of propane salamanders. no insulation in the building because it can't be done until after the plumber and electrician and framing inpections are done.

try hooking 5 garden hoses together to get water from a neighbor because the water service to the building can't be turned on or the well is not complete.

am i exaggerating ? HELL NO.

my point, 5 PSI air is the only option.

I just saw a youtube video of a piece of ABS pipe exploding from air pressure. Ok, it took I believe 455psi.

Here's from one jurisdiction...

"P2503.5.1 Rough plumbing
DWV systems shall be tested on completion of the rough piping installation by water or for piping systems other than plastic, by air with no evidence of leakage. Either test shall be applied to the drainage system in its entirety or in sections after rough piping has been installed, as follows:"

Author: sum (FL)

Then may be the only option is to beg a neighbor for use of his/her hose bibs for new construction.

What if the system is filled with water during the winter, waiting for the inspector to come, and there is no heat no insulation, and the inspector got delayed, and the system completely freezes overnight into cylinders of ice, who would be liable for it then?

Edited 1 times.

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

Packy I agree on water testing in the winter. That is why we use smoke tests now smoke with minimum of 1” water column

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.