Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plugging basement drain
Author: asmith86 (OH)

Hey guys.I am in the middle of finishing my basement. We have a floor drain in the middle of the room that I am wanting to cap/plug and cement over so I can put flooring down. We have had our basement flood 1 time when the sump pump went out and the water came out of this drain. We replaced all the drain tiles around the basement and the crew installed a new drain over by the washer/water tank and its on the other side of the room from the sump pump. The main purpose of this drain was a gravity condensation drain for our HVAC, for which I've already installed a condensate pump. Note, no sewage or smell has ever come from this drain.

My question is, what is the best practice in plugging the drain and then cementing over? The pipe measures 3 inches in diameter on the inside of the pipe. I want the plug to be lower than the floor so I can cement over it and have a level floor. I've included pics of my piping and flooring to give you an idea of what I am looking at. The floor does slope slightly around the drain so which I am going to use the self-leveling cement.

Any input would be great. Link for pics below.

[postimg.cc]

Re: Plugging basement drain
Author: packy (MA)

plain old glue in pvc test cap

you will need to clean up the fitting so this can be glued in place.

Edited 1 times.

Author: asmith86 (OH)

Hey, I bought a cap like that but I am having trouble finding the right size. Its a 3 inch diameter on the inside but a 3.5 inch OD. I have yet to find a test cap those dimensions.

Author: packy (MA)

the fitting i posted will fit.
they make glue in test caps in the same sizes as pipe.
1 1/2, 2, 3 and 4 inch.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.