Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 reason for clogged bathroom sink in apt bldg?
Author: sunnyday1043 (NY)

Hello
I have been living in my apartment for 14 years now. I would ask my Super but because of the coronavirus quarantine - social distancing - stay at home issue, I wanted to ask here instead. It's just myself who lives in my apartment. I have two questions. First, some info: my BATHROOM SINK is clogging up for the second time after a month now since I used "Pequa, Heavy Duty Drain Opener, Industrial Strength." My hair is not long. If any of it falls in the sink, I always wipe it up because, when growing up, my father alway advised me to do so. He was handy around the house and cleaned out the clogged pipes with the "snake." So my first question is:

Is it normal for a bathroom sink to clog up just from toothpaste and flossed food remnants residue after 14 years?

Could the reason for the clogging be that it's coming from my upstairs neighbor? I'm not friendly with her, but do know she just got a new dog.

Could another reason be that it's coming from downstairs neighbor? His wife and daughter have very long hair but they've been living here as long as I have (14 years). I would appreciate if anyone could provide any input as I am stuck here amidst this quarantine in fear of having my Super come inside my apt.

Thank you.

Re: reason for clogged bathroom sink in apt bldg?
Author: srloren (CA)

Probably the most common cause of stoppages in bathroom sinks is hair. You need to remove the stopper and fish it out with a coat hanger wire bending the end to make a hook. I would hate to think that an upstairs neighbor with a dog would cause the problem.

Author: sum (FL)

do you floss and drop the floss down the sink?

no, of course not!!!!

Edited 1 times.

thanks, but the pipe bends - it looks like the letter S rotated on its side. The hanger is not long enough to reach. I guess the comment about the dog was silly. I thought maybe she cleans out her vacuum bag full of the dog's fur in her sink. I'm just a little stressed here with the dog running all over my ceiling and having lost my job, job searching online - probably not coherent at the time I typed it

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

If it were the downstairs person causing it, your sink would drain into hers and cause hers to overflow. if it were the upstairs person, then yours would overflow when SHE used her sink. Therefore the problem is in your sink. In fact, the comment that yours looks like an "S" on it side, rather than a "P" on its side would usually indicate that your sink is NOT connected to anywhere except your bathrroom.

this is helpful. Thanks. My upstairs neighbor is an essential worker and is gone all day when I use my sink and it still piles up. Now that I think of it, my mom said it's a pedestal sink or something. The pipe looks more like an upside down P. I'd attach a picture but I can't see where to attach images. So now do you think my plumbing is connected to my neighbors'? Thanks again.

Edited 3 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

IF the sink is next to the tub or toilet, then it is very unlikely to be connected to them.

Author: NP16 (OR)

I would have a professional rooter guy come out and electrically cable your drain.
(that is if the clog is not in your pop-up assembly, tail piece or p trap)

thanks. My sink is located in the middle of the tub and toilet. I will call my Super when this virus is gone.

Re: reason for clogged bathroom sink in apt bldg? thumbs

thanks. I will or maybe I will call my super first. I have a tight budget now.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.