Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 washer turned off but tub OVERFLOWS
Author: ifr2lax (CA)

The washing machine was turned OFF. That morning water pressure at bathroom sink very low. Walk into kitchen washer is overflowing. Had flooded the front of the house.
OK the washer is turned OFF. Finally got water turned off (valve stem broke off in my hand a real comedy)

Live at the bottom of a hill. Later found out water company broke main up the hill. That explains low pressure at my sinks. The flow was just residual water gravity flowing down hill.

OK is this correct? Normal line pressure closes/seat the valve. But VERY LOW pressure/flow and valve will not seat...and Water leaks around it. (Electric opens the valve but line pressure seats it off).
If machine is OFF line pressure forces solenoid valve into off section of valve seat. No pressure and valve just "floats" around so no seal?

There seems no reason the house can't get flooded again.

Washer is a MAYTAG stacker purchesed new about 2005. Thanks for reading this.

Re: washer turned off but tub OVERFLOWS
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you are correct

you need:

readily shut of water supply to washer hoses

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

thanks for the idea.

With that valve (mounted to the side of the machine) in my case it would be easy to turn off ALL the water right at the machine.

Great when your at home to monitor the washer, but sometimes I want to leave the house to go somewhere with a load in the machine...to be effective, you have to MONITOR the washer...

This machine is not trustworthy...as such I either replace it ($$) or turn off the water when ever I can be standing there!!! arhghhh.

I would just replace the washers entire solenoid valve assembly if I thought that would cure the problem.

Still want to know why my "Maytag circa 2005" valve design failed in this instance.

you could also get: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

or: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

ps. MOST washing machine inlet solenoid valves valves have the exact same issue - water pressure required for tight shut off

Pretty sure its the valve...!

Went to a parts supplier web page. The customers notes were pretty much what I was looking for. Leaking cold water into the drum. (they just said it more concisely and coherently)!

I will replace the VALVE ASSEMBLY. Considerng the age of the part ~15 years and the hard water in SoCal I should have thought of that.

Since the problem only shows up under low pressure situation I may never know for sure, but thats OK.

Thanks for reading the post. Pete

Re: washer turned off but tub OVERFLOWS clap

thanks for your input..had me scratching my head and now I hear its common...ARGGHHH!

Thanks again for your help

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

Hey Bernabeau can you make repairs to that valve? Do you access underneath those chrome screws for repairs?

yes

easy - peasy

(stainless steel screws)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.