Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Does the DK105 Snappy Trap conform to Code?
Author: DBBPlbg (CO)

Please help me wade through all the mumbo-jumbo that I'm getting. I have a utility sink that I used a flexible P-Trap in the drain system. I just realized that most flexible drains do not meet code including the one I used because it is corrugated inside and out. However, Snappy Trap claims to meet code with their Model DK-100 because it is smooth on the inside and corrugated on the outside. Per Snappy Trap:

"Model DK-100 falls within the continuous waste in the drain system under IAPMO´s standard IGC 301. The trap and the flexible connector are covered by IAPMO´s Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC)."

OK, that's straightforward - it meets the code. But for the model DK-105, they say:

"Model DK-105 is for the drainage system. While the scope of the Uniform Plumbing Code, does not cover the connector fitting with a flexible arm, model DK-105 is in compliance with IAPMO´s standard IGC 328 therefore it is certified as “classified”."

The difference between DK-100 and DK 105 is minimal. Is DK-105 OK to use in my home in Colorado?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Does the DK105 Snappy Trap conform to Code?
Author: NoHub (MA)

nope...not in Massachusetts.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Post a photo of the pipes underneath your sink, I would bet a paycheck that these pros here will tell you how to connect your sink to code in a matter of seconds. Probably with less expensive parts than those flex connectors!!!

Author: packy (MA)

nothing is legal in Massachusetts UNLESS it has a product approval number.
a company applies for a product approval and upon payment of the appropriate fee (annually) receives that approval number. can you spell SCAM..

Author: bernabeu (SC)

DK-105

product complies with the Uniform Plumbing Code (as per the orange big box store)

"smooth integral bore" makes it 'technically' compliant

however

the product serves no purpose unless installed in a non compliant manner ("s" trap AND offset)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

This is my current installation:

The sink is a bit too far to the right for the trap. I have tried to use a 45 deg fitting coming out the wall but it runs into the sink drain.

This is what I want to use but it is only certified as "classified"

This is the one that is compliant:

Edited 1 times.

your current installation is not very professional but doesn't bother me.

there is not much in the code that addresses fittings on the inlet side of the trap.

code is more worried about trap syphonage and sewer gas.

anyway, if that corrugated pipe gets clogged you can remove it and take it outside to hose it clean.

I was told that if there ever is a problem, insurance may not pay since it is not to code. So I was trying to address that although the chances of a problem is probably slight. It has been installed for more than 10 years and the inside corrugations are clean. And yes, it is not very professional looking!

Thanks to all those that answered. Is there a cleaner way of routing the trap?

Edited 1 times.

Author: NoHub (MA)

nothing about that is to code,I'm giggling just looking at it.Pipes & fittings have to be self scouring (cleaning).

Why don’t u just put an elbow as it comes out of the wall? Bend it slightly towards the tailpiece then angle the trap?

Author: sum (FL)

his actual current installation picture is a broken link, how did you all see it?

Author: NoHub (MA) said:
"nothing about that is to code,I'm giggling just looking at it.Pipes & fittings have to be self scouring (cleaning)."

Hence my post!

Author: Palm329 (VA) said:
"Why don’t u just put an elbow as it comes out of the wall? Bend it slightly towards the tailpiece then angle the trap?"

Sorry, I don't understand - how do I "bend it (an elbow) slightly" Or are you suggesting putting in another elbow going away from the wall"

Sum: the photo was pretty simple: it showed a utility/laundry sink just Slightly too far to the right of the drain tailpiece coming out of the wall. So he installed a flex drain pipe down from the sink drain, bent about an inch or two to the left. Then, a standard p-trap and back to the wall. He doesn’t have enough to play in the trap to reach over to the drain, but it’s really close. An inch or two.

Poster: I mean install a “tubular elbow” 45 degree or 22.5 degree if it exists at the drain pipe where it comes out of the wall. This new elbow will turn the drain pipe to the right just a little bit. Then, simply rotate the trap into alignment with this new drain pipe and connect. It seems pretty simple but I could be missing something.

you need one of these at the wall.

I did try the 45 deg elbow but that put the drain directly in line with the sink drain. I didn't think about a 22.5 deg. It may work - I'll try it.

Author: hj (AZ)

I would use half of a double offset before I would even consider that fitting.

Thanks, it worked. smile clap

The 22.5 deg elbow worked! Thanks for the help.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.