Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Corroded, Immovable nut at drain wall connection
Author: drdec (NY)

So I was replacing the drain and the p-trap under my bathroom sink. Unfortunately the connector nut screwed into the pipe leading to the wall is completely corroded and immovable. So I can hook everything up but I get a small leak where the PVC enters the wall pipe.

I've tried heat and WD-40 with no luck. There's not a lot of room to get any leverage either. I have essentially given up on being able to remove the nut myself.

I have 1-1/4" PVC going into the wall (the existing fixtures were metal). The pipe from the wall is metal, obviously it is threaded but I can't get the nut off. I imagine the wall pipe would be 1-1/2" at the connection, but I am just guessing.

I am wondering if there is a workable solution without calling in a professional. It occurred to me to try one of those sleeve connectors but I am unsure if it would fit over the nut and still be the right size for the pipe.

Another thought is if it is possible to use some kind of sealant to prevent the leak, but I wouldn't know what type to use.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
ddrec

Re: Corroded, Immovable nut at drain wall connection
Author: DaveMill (CA)

Use a the end of a hacksaw blade to cut off the nut. You can find these and similar tools at big box stores, or you can just wrap an old broken blade with duct tape, leaving enough sticking out the end to cut with. I can tell you from experience with good access it will take only 5 minutes; with really tight access, maybe 15 minutes.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

you're gonna have to get that nut off.
cut it, chisel it but get it off.
if you damage the threads slightly ( i do mean slightly) it will not leak as the seal is made by the tapered washer.
even if the new trap arm is plastic, use a brass nut at the wall. a dab of pipe dope or grease will help it seal better.

@DaveMill, do you mean to cut the portion of the pipe where the nut is attached? Or (more likely) do you mean cut from the outside of the nut towards the pipe radially?

I'm assuming you mean cut the nut itself radially towards the pipe. Will that need a couple of pieces cut in order to get it off? I'm not sure I have a good mental picture of how that would work.

Overnight it occurred to me to try some flex seal tape. Is this a a terrible idea or just a bad idea?

Author: sum (FL)

They meant make a cut radially on the nut to basically split the nut. You can try making one cut first, you may not need to cut all the way through the nut, then use a chisel or a flat head screw driver into the cut slot and twist to break the nut apart. If that doesn't work then make two cuts, say one at 12 'O' clock and one at 6 'O' clock, then break & removed the two parts. Unless the entire nut was glued onto the pipe thread this should remove the nut.

I would stay away from flex seal tape in this situation.

Edited 3 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

IF it had been done correctly, in the first place, there would NOT be a "corroded immovable nut" there, because it would have been brass to brass or plastic to plastic. Cut the nut off, then, if the pipe is steel, install a brass trap adapter and brass nut on it.

Re: Corroded, Immovable nut at drain wall connection thumbs

I want to thank everyone for their input. I was able to cut the nut with a hacksaw, then pry it open with a screwdriver (thanks @sum, seems obvious in retrospect but that really helped) and loosen it enough to get it off.

After getting it off I can see that it appears to be either brass or copper, at least it's the right color. The corrosion was green so that probably means copper I think?

@hj, the p-trap, etc. that I removed were metal and I am replacing them with PVC. Obviously the pipe into the wall is metal.

In any case I am off to the hardware store for a replacement nut.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

.... and a wire brush for the protruding male threads to which you with apply the BRASS or PLASTIC nut

grinning smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.