Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Strapping an angled pipe
Author: Palm329 (VA)

So I thought I’d get smart and run the 1/2” copper pipe on the right down at an angle, to save me a couple extra fittings and a little pipe. Now, I need to anchor that pipe to the joist somehow. Of course I didn’t think it thru carefully before I saved that $1 in materials...

Any suggestions? I considered cutting a piece of angled wood, but I suspect it will crack if I screw thru it on the angle. I used that plastic zip tie to hold it in-place while soldering.

Re: Strapping an angled pipe
Author: sum (FL)

you could use copper straps that come in a coil, loop around the pipe twice then screw or nail the ends to your rafters.

Author: steve_g (CA)

It looks like you could get a strap on there, angled, and still hit the joist. I don't like to strap copper tight to wood -- it can make noise when it expands & contracts. I use plastic straps.

Author: hj (AZ)

Talon straps use a single nail or screw to fasten to the wood. Since it is a single fastener, it can rotate to any angle you need.

Edited 1 times.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

I use a short length of bare copper electrical wire....#14 is OK, #12 is better. Use the un-insulated ground wire or strip bare a piece of white or black. Use a drywall or other screw in the joist, then twist a loop in one end of the wire. Place the loop on the screw, loop the wire under the pipe and then back up to the screw and wrap around.

This supports the weight of the pipe while also allowing lateral movement so no squeaks or pops due to temp changes, and it's only copper-on-copper so no damage to the pipe. Usually if I'm plumbing for a project, there is elec work involved too, so there's always scrap wire laying around.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.