Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 DWV lines installing recessed medicine cabinet
Author: JohnV (MN)

I'm trying to install a recessed medicine cabinet in a small bathroom. Of course as luck would have it the DWV line goes straight up from the sink drain into the attic and needs to be relocated. This is on the top floor, so there is no drain water that goes through any of the pipes I'd be messing with.

Since I need to frame out the cabinet, there is just not quite enough space for the relocated dwv and vertical framing stud in the same cavity. Can I use any kind of flexible tubing that would be slightly compressed to redirect around the cabinet? Again, there would be no water draining through this.

There is a horizontal dwv line running to adjacent wall cavities above the sink level from the main vertical, but the next two cavities are only 8" and 13.5" wide and each has a tee to join to a vertical going down to the lower level bath and/or perhaps toilet in same bath I'm working on.

Everything is 2" lines, except for the 2nd tee reduces the horizontal pipe diameter.

Further complicating things it that the horizontal line meets the vertical at the sink with the top of the tee fitting about the same height as the bottom of the cabinet cutout hole.

I can tear into the wall on the opposite side as needed as there is nothing on that wall.

Thoughts?

Re: DWV lines installing recessed medicine cabinet
Author: packy (MA)

i'll take a lot of heat from my fellow plumbers but I personally don't think (although not code approved) there is anything wrong with swimming pool flex piping. it is PVC and glues just like straight pipe. it holds water pressure far in excess of the 5PSI our piping must hold.
[www.poolzoom.com]

Author: NoHub (MA)

Oh no he didn't....

Author: hj (AZ)

I think he wants to 'squeeze" and make it oval, but I doubt that flexible PVC will do that.

Author: sum (FL)

"...Can I use any kind of flexible tubing that would be slightly compressed to redirect around the cabinet?..."

sounds like he wants do a "U" around the cabinet.

If he is just missing a tiny bit, may be he can reduce to 1.5" if code allows?

I'm now thinking that I'll turn the Tee located just below the cabinet to a 90* elbow, (losing the upward connection that goes through the cabinet into the attic) and run a 2" (maybe flex PVC) up from the horizontal in the 13.5" cavity two studs over. That cavity right now has a tee with a 1.5" from the shower and/or toilet (horizontal) to a 2" going down and 2" continuing to the cabinet cavity..

I'll 90* the 1.5" up to the top of the wall, and change the existing tee in there to vertical |- Then I can join the 1.5 from the shower to the new 2" lines at the top of the cavity with a Tee there. (1.5x2x2) There's not enough room to join it all at the existing tee location. and I couldn't find a source for a 4 way fitting (1.5, 2,2,2)

Thinking of using something like the stuff in here to make it easier to get everything in place with less piecing across the studs: [www.youtube.com].

Attempt at a picture: (use fixed width font to view! )

S = Stud 2x6
- or | 1.5" ABS
= or | | 2" ABS

....S.............S.......S....|.|.......S......S
....S<---13.5"--->S.7.75".S<----14.5"--->S<-6"->S
.---S-------Tee===S==Tee==S====Tee.......S......S
....S.......|.|...S..|.|..S.....|........S......S
....S.......|.|...S..|.|..S....sink......S......S

After:.

...S..............S.......S.........|.|..S......S
...S.---Tee=======S=======S=========90*..S......S
...S.|..|.|.......S.......S..............S......S
...S.|..|.|.......S.......SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
...S.|..|.|.......S.......S....S................S
...S.|..|.|.......S.......S....S......Med.......S
...S.|..|.|.......S.......S....S......Cab.......S
...S.|..|.|.......S.......SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
---S-/..Tee=======S===T===S=========90*..S......S
...S....|.|.......S..|.|..S.........|.|..S......S
...S....|.|.......S..|.|..S..........|...S......S
...S....|.|.......S..|.|..S.........sink.S......S

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve_g (CA)

Wouldn't a nice surface-mount med cab save you a lot of grief? Kohler makes some pretty ones.

Re: DWV lines installing recessed medicine cabinet clap

There's the grief the cabinet gives me and the grief I get from my wife smile It's such a small bathroom and it is a very small vanity (14.5" from wall to front edge) that a surface mount would extend out too far.

I'm going with the above plan with all ABS.

John.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.