Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 disconnect clips v. disconnect tongs: what's the difference?
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

Makers of push-to-connect fittings sell disconnect clips and disconnect tongs. The clips are $2, the tongs $8: what does the tong do that the clip can't?

Re: disconnect clips v. disconnect tongs: what's the difference?
Author: packy (MA)

I don't know that there is any difference except the price.

when I need to disconnect a fitting I just use a plastic j-hook. I keep an assortment with me.

Author: sum (FL)

This is a "clip"

This is a "tong"

With the clip you need to place it on the copper pipe at the joint then apply some force to back the coupling out of the pipe. Usually that means putting two finders over the clip then kind of a combination of turning and pulling apart will do. However, if the joint is say 1/4" from the wall, there may be no space to slide the clip into the gap, or if there is, no space to slip your fingers behind that to do the twisting then pulling. In that case a tong may be useful.

But as Packy said, neither of those are really needed as long as you have something to push that collar into the fitting to release it. I have the 1/2" and 3/4" clips but if it's real close I would use an adjustable wrench or a retaining ring plier to do it whatever is laying around.

Author: hj (AZ)

IF there is room enough between the fitting and the wall for the clip, then there are other tools that will work. IF not, then the tong will slip in and give you mechanical leverage to depress the ring.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.