Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Use of "lambert" string on a damaged 2"port of a 350 gal water well tank
Author: Daulton Ruff (CA)

Hello... New person here.

We just had a well issue and had to replace our pump. While cleaning around the base of my 350 gal tank I discovered a leak. I finally found a replacement used tank because I couldn't afford a new one, and brought it home.

The seller did a leak test with air and we were satisfied enough to take the chance, because one of the three ports was damaged.We cleaned all of the ports with a die but I'm not sure.

It looks to me like we have three, maybe four "good" threads and the others are kind of iffy. I've watched videos where a person used lambert, a cotton string before he put the blue industrial grade sealant onto the threads. Another video said to put the sealant on the female threads then put teflon tape then another layer of sealant then put more on the male threads.I can't find this "lambert" product in any of three stores I checked, but I do have cotton string.

Obviously I don't want to plumb the whole tank and find out I have a leak. You guys know about everything, so what is your best advice? Should I forget about the string and just use the teflon tape with the sealant? I have another waterproof product, epoxy, and should I use a bit of it toward the outside threads?

Thank you for reading my post and for your expertise and replies.

Re: Use of "lambert" string on a damaged 2"port of a 350 gal water well tank
Author: packy (MA)

I think you are looking for something like this.

wrap it into each thread starting from the end.

a good quality pipe dope over it and even dope the female threads.

you don't need to connect the pipes to test the joint.

put all the plugs in but one. attach an air compressor and pressurize it to 100 psi.

just google 'plumbing sealing cord' to search for this or other similar producte.

Re: Use of "lambert" string on a damaged 2"port of a 350 gal water well tank
Author: Daulton Ruff (CA)

Thank you very much for your reply.

I did see that product at Home Depot yesterday where I bought True-Blu pipe thread sealant. That product looked too thick, and not like the cotton product I saw on the videos so I didn't get it. However, now I have a few days to make a decision and I think I will go get that product and follow your suggestion. I went to three stores and no one had heard of lambert so I assumed it was something probably used back in the 40s. I couldn't find any old plumber guys to give advice.

I've examined the damaged threads and there are a couple on the inside that are going to need this extra sealant.

I had not thought of using a compressor to test the pressure.That is an excellent idea. If I can figure out how to put the air in. I did go fish the old air release valve out of the trash so maybe I can use that someway.

Thanks again for your help.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.