Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mounting a push-to-connect valve in still-on plumbing
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

I live in a condominium. The building has a shutoff, not my unit. I want to add shutoff valves for my unit. To turn off the water I have to call a plumber and make an appointment with management. What happens if I cut the tubing (half-inch copper), jam on a push-to-connect valve: do I make it without a flood?

How about I pack it with dry ice? I buy a cheap styrofoam ice bucket, cut a hole in the top and bottom for the tubing, fill it with dry ice, wait - an hour? - I can turn on the water to test.

I've already removed the walls on both sides of the plumbing, so I have an open work space.

Re: Mounting a push-to-connect valve in still-on plumbing
Author: packy (MA)

your plan sounds like it would work.

I would freeze the pipe but I would test it before cutting it.

I would drill a tiny hole in the pipe to make sure you are OK.

if you need to close the hole in a hurry you can have hose clamp with a small piece of rubber standing by.

remember that if the water is not stopped completely, the little flow of water running thru the pipe will thaw the pipe rather quickly.

when you slide the valve on, keep it in the open position so it won't want to blow off. close it when fully inserted.

Thanks. I realized that since I'm installing a valve, I can leave it open, jam it on, then shut the valve, so I don't have to fight the pressure.

I found a nice video on YouTube of a guy who uses canned air, which uses PTFE, a refrigerant, as its propellant. If you use it upside down instead, it quick-freezes. He wraps a hank of pipe insulation around the pipe, wraps that in a layers of plastic trash bag, inserts the hose of the can inside the insulation, tightens down with ties, blows the air.

Author: NP16 (OR)

sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Just call for 24 hour notice. shut the water down and then
you can do the job without all that risk, stress and added costs to buy the freeze materials.

Edited 1 times.

They don't have to shut the water down just because I ask. If they know what's happening, they'll insist on a licensed plumber, a lot more expensive than freezing materials.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Just watch this video before you make your mind up:

[youtu.be]

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless you are on the lowest level of the condo, do not even think about doing a "live" valve installation. You will probably cause a major flood in the unit, because you CANNOT cut the pipe "instantly".

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

..... If they know what's happening, they'll insist on a licensed plumber, a lot more expensive than freezing materials. .....

That juuuusst about says it all ............... frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve_g (CA)

As bernabeu points out, a licensed plumber will be much cheaper than paying to repair all the flood damage.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

The flood damage might be cheaper than a union plumber though haha

Author: hj (AZ)

And especially one who does "flat rate pricing".

Author: NP16 (OR)

deleted

Edited 1 times.

a friend of mine who is an insurance adjuster for residential losses tells me prevailing wage adds 30% to a labor bill.
if charging a senior citizen 30% more makes you feel good, there is a special place for you in hell.

? as opposed to charging 30% less and having to 'never stop improving' ?

(philosophically speaking)

the 'vendor' is free to give the person of their choice (eg. senior on a fixed income who can no longer afford the house) ANY DISCOUNT they choose

but

the vendor is NOT free to short-change the employee's pay

sheez, packy, you are an excellent button pusher

tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 times.

" sheez, packy, you are an excellent button pusher "

it took years of practice and lots of hard work to be good at it.

MY personal forte is being placed no. 1 on the ka-ka list.

I always knew exactly where I stood

and

? what, exactly, could they do to me ? put me on the list ?...

Author: DaveMill (CA)

To Arthur Peabody, the OP:

You are an amateur who is about to cut a pressurized pipe in a multi-unit condo after freezing it with Dry Ice or refrigerant, because you saw someone do it on YouTube. With respect, what could possibly go wrong?

Have you ever noticed that it is always bystanders who post the disaster videos? Sure the guy posted a video of his successful pipe freeze trick, but did he post videos of all of his rehearsals and practice runs and failures? Does the video claim, "I'm an amateur and this is the first time I ever tried this trick and it worked!"

Again with respect, the smart bet here is that the first time you try your trick, it will be a disaster. Sorry.

Edited 1 times.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

The pros use a $3300 machine to freeze pipes: [www.ridgid.com]. You can RENT a professional pipe freezer for $82/day here in NY: [www.sunbeltrentals.com]

In theory your DIY method would work too, but I don't know if I would have the nerve. A 1/2" pipe can flow a LOT of water in just a few seconds when completely unrestricted.

The odds aren't good here....if you look at the high probability of something going wrong, multiplied by the high cost of damages if something does go wrong, it's not worth it to avoid the relatively small cost of the plumber.

IF you had either a low probability of something going wrong, or a low cost of damages, then it might be worth the risk to avoid the plumbing bill.

Maybe you wait until you get the notice that your water will be off because somebody else in the building is having plumbing work done, then time your work to coincide, since your neighbor will have hired the plumber and paid the shutoff fee.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.