Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Creating a semi-permanent drip...Is there a gadget?
Author: MT_MountainGirl (MT)

We have an unusual plumbing challenge. The supply water line underneath the street makes a gooseneck and when the frost line descends, and cars drive over the road, it pushes the freeze down to the gooseneck (which is 6' under a main road in town (its called Broadway to give you perspective). The city passed an ordinance long ago to shunt the costs of poor construction eons ago to each home-owner. To repair this and prevent freezing is at least a $10,000 job.

It's an issue because we aren't in the building over the weekends, and thus the water isn't running in order to prevent a freeze. Three out of the past five years we've hauled water for 3-4 months waiting for the ground to defrost. One year, we were successful by putting a paper clip in one of the toilet flanges to create a slow drip, but last year somehow it worked loose and one weekend it froze.

I'm looking for a "permanent" drip maker that I can tune to just enough drip (I've heard 1 gallon/hour?) that can't accidentally be shut off. It'll need to run for a few months. Yes, the water bill goes up, but nothing like the $10k to tear up the road.

Suggestions?

Re: Creating a semi-permanent drip...Is there a gadget?
Author: packy (MA)

it seems like lawn sprinkler companies have something like you want.

1 GPH drip emitter.

contact one of those companies and have a talk with them.

[www.dripirrigation.com]

I looked into those, but I still need to jury rig it to attach to some form of internal plumbing that will drain. I can't run it outside. It gets to -30F sometimes...

Another alternative is to not run a drip, but have sometime like a "flush toilet once every three hours" kind of thing-- some longer span but a pulse of water movement.

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

Disconnect the hot side washer hose to your washer, stick it down the washer stand pipe, then open the hot washer valve a tiny tiny bit?

Author: Palm329 (VA)

What about one of those floor drain primers could that work?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

[www.uswatersystems.com]
I'd set the solenoid up with hose barbs and use sum's idea of using the washing machine

Edited 1 times.

Great ideas. I'm going to start w/ the pressure regulator and a drip irrigation nozzle running into the washing machine drain and see how much water that uses during November. Freeze risk really starts late Dec/Jan. Option B will be a solenoid on a timer to add a more substantial run but less frequent, also into the washing machine drain. Thanks for the suggestions!
Dayna

Author: packy (MA)

I like the belt and suspenders approach.

do both..

the solenoid will make sure the water won't freeze while the tiny 1 GPM drip will help when the solenoid is closed.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.