Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can I use all threaded fittings with PVC drain pipe?
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

I'm adding an outlet box for my washing machine. I took out all of the wall to which it backs up and found a few problems with the drain pipe that's already there. I'd like to fix them with threaded parts so I can fix mistakes readily. Home Depot and Lowe's (online) don't have a complete set of threaded fittings. Is that for a reason? Fortunately all of the mistakes I have found are above water outlets, for ventilation only.

Re: Can I use all threaded fittings with PVC drain pipe?
Author: packy (MA)

if you want to make your work 'removable', use shielded no hub couplings.

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless you want to use steel pipe and cast iron drainage fittings, you NOT find any threaded plastic drain fittings other than male and female adapters. Using threaded fittings would make it HARDER to make repairs in the future, not easier.

Do you mean rubber sleeves with hose clamps?

Do you mean that the only threaded fittings are adaptors, presumably between slip & threaded? I found a variety of threaded fittings at Lasco Fittings, lascofittings.com.

Probably NOT DWV fittings.

hj.
quote, "Fortunately all of the mistakes I have found are above water outlets, for ventilation only."

I assume he means all his work is on vents only. so, fittings not used for drains can be elbows and tees with no sweep to them.

so if the man wants to use the fittings he found online and screw everything together, who are we to stop him ?

and what is he going to use for pipe between those fittings? Sch. 40 PVC with male adapters on both ends?

you can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

threaded schedule 80 CPVC ?? tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Schedule 40 grey electric conduit as long as you properly wick and dope the LB pullbox covers.

but no - in all seriousness: just make sure this gets assembled with left/right nipples so everything lines up! smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

You have to be kidding. Left/right PVC nipples? Must be delivered by unicorns.

I ask here to avoid screwing things up.

The fittings I found on-line are Lasco Fittings, which Home Depot and Lowe's sell, just not all of the threaded versions.

They make unions.

It's plumbed in schedule 40 now, so I planned to use that, but Lasco has then in schedule 80: [www.lascofittings.com]

Edited 1 times.

[www.lascofittings.com]

from your link:

There are no products in this category: Schedule 80 CPVC.
Please choose a different category.

hj is correct, there are NO threaded PVC fittings suitable for drainage / waste / vent except adapters and c/o plugs

Author: sum (FL)

The link you provided on SCH80 fittings are in CPVC, not PVC. There is another section for SCH80 PVC. But both of these are not suitable for DRAIN applications.

Look at the 90 degree elbows for these and compare them to the SCH40 fittings designed specifically for DWV (Drain Waste and Vent) applications. Totally different animals. You cannot use fittings intended for water supply, pool and spa, irrigation for drains. You can even go to big box stores and look at a 90 elbow and a tee for DWV applications and the same for "pressure fittings" for the same nominal size and you can see how they are different.

Re: Can I use all threaded fittings with PVC drain pipe? clap

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't up on all the different uses of PVC. I realized that most of what I'm replacing is above water, venting only, so I can put it together without cementing it first, cement it when I'm happy with it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

Venting does not mean you can deviate from DWV fittings (drain, waste, VENT). There are many reasons, but one is these fittings when connected together will not any "bumps" on the inside of the entire pathway. That's why DWV fittings have hubs to insert the pipes into without changing the inside diameter at all. On the other hand the fittings you linked the ID inside the fittings will be greater then the ID of the pipe.

Imagine you have to snake your pipe due to a blockage in the drain portion and the drain cleaner goes into the roof to do the snaking, the snake has to navigate through your vent section to reach the wet drain, and he can't pass his snake because your vent only section has bumps and non passable pressure elbows.

Edited 1 times.

Sum,

You're Hired

smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

The only threaded ones in that page are plugs and adapters.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.