Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 pvc slip coupling
Author: mik2 (WI)

In a pinch i used a 1.5 pvc slip coupling on a pump discharge. I didnt have to use it like a repair coupling where you slide it into place,smearing the glue. Instead i used it like you normally would use a coupling with a stop..i even marked the pipe to make sure i inserted the pipe correctly. No leak that i see but still im a little nervous about the thing since it see heavy use being on the verticle part of a pump discharge which holds a column of water above a check valve.

How integral is the stop in making a leak free joint?
Are those slip couplings known to be leakers?

Re: pvc slip coupling
Author: srloren (CA)

Those slip couplings have o-rings and they can dry out over time. You should replace it with glued PVC fittings for best results.

There is no oring... it just doesnt have a stop. Its glued, maybe its called a repair coupling.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

if the joint was primed and properly glued (with nice fresh glue), you have nothing to worry about.

go enjoy the packers vs chiefs game tonight.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it may have been 'glued' - but - it was NOT solvent welded

the TAPER in a 'real' coupling creates the PRESSURE for the actual 'bonding' of a proper joint

redo it correctly for 'peace of mind'

[www.instructables.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

come on bern...

the guy has a pump used to shoot ground water out the window.

we are not talking nuclear waste here.

half the time those flexible hoses are used. they are paper thin and connect using a flimsy hose clamp.

..... it see{s} heavy use being on the {vertical} part of a pump discharge which holds a column of water above a check valve.

packy,

what price do YOU place on peace of mind ?

smiling smiley

FWIW, I swapped it out this morning with no sweat .... i didnt realize pvc fittings had tapers in addition to the stop and for 50 cents and a little solvent and cement is worth a little piece of mind. Plus I get to hide in the basement for a half hour!

Author: hj (AZ)

I wonder if you are the ONLY PERSON who has had a problem with "repair couplings" in the DECADES since they were created and the millions of them which have been used with no problems. I never used them, but NOT for the reason you stated.

bernabeu, peace of mind is a relative term.
as our mutual friend from AZ stated, decades of existence and millions installed with no problems.

I will agree that without a center stop the fitting can easily be installed with too much insertion on one side and not enough on the other. but the person said he made reference marks on the pipe.

If you make the joint one side at a time, without the stop, wouldnt dried glue just contaminate the other side? So i would be repriming dried glue.

I wouldnt be confident at all if i had to slide it into place in a repair situation. Guessing you might need to hammer it unto place.

y'all miss the point

standard couplings are TAPERED

the primer and SOLVENT WELD (Cement) soften the pipe enough for full insertion to the bottom of the taper - said taper provides the COMPRESSION to ensure compression WELDING of the two pieces, not merely the gluing/cementing

only the bottom third of the joint is actually WELDED, said distance is greater than the pipe wall thickness

a PROPERLY made joint can not, repeat can not, separate nor leak, unless the pipe itself is actually BROKEN or snapped

however

in today's world of 'never stop improving' plumbing is apparently no longer a skilled trade involving knowledge or experience

and

if it don't leak today the job is 'good enough'

Author: NP16 (OR)

at least leak free for the warranty period.

which is what typically? How long does a plumber there in SC have to warranty a repair like this?

np16,

i am retired, praise the creator

the typical warranty in SC is 'out the door' unless it was a 'big box store' install

but

if assembled PROPERLY the joint will last as long as the pipe

then the issue becomes: ? what is the life expectancy of the pipe itself ?

'nuf said on this topic - else i tend to 'go off' more than i already am

Edited 1 times.

Most "reputable" companies, and AHJs mandate a 12 month period, although, here is many cases it is 2 years for residential customers, if they choose to pursue a warranty claim.

? does the warranty cover damages caused by any shoddy work in question or merely the work/material itself ?

The materials are covered by the manufacturer, usually. The "job"is covered by the implied warranty.

Author: sum (FL)

that's one reason why I try to avoid these repair couplings if I can. You really have to apply the primer and cement on both ends and work both joints at the same time, which means you have to work quick. In addition I don't like that you have to push a pipe into the coupling, then immediately as you insert the other end of the coupling into the opposing pipe, you have to pull the coupling out of the pipe which in my opinion weakens the joint you just made. I have only used this in irrigation pipes when it's fixed on both ends (like embedded in tree roots) and if it does leak a little I don't care.

Sum,

You summed it up perfectly.

(pun not intended, but good anyway)

grinning smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.