Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet flange modification
Author: Tennessee Nuke (TN)

Has anyone used an Oatey one piece stainless steel ring on top of a new PVC flange installation to create a bulletproof mounting for the toilet?
Both would be Tapcon screwed into level concrete.
Seems like it would be stronger then the SS/PVC combination flanges I've looked at and will give me correct height to finished floor level.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Toilet flange modification
Author: packy (MA)

interesting concept

I would think it would be stronger if the S/S is under the plastic.

also, no need to seal between the rings if the S/S is below.

Ive tried test fit under flange both right side up and upside down. Would need the longer closet bolts to secure toilet. That configuration may end up putting stress on the PVC flange. Most stable appears to be with PVC flange tight to concrete floor with SS ring on top. Both being Oatey, they snug up nice. The SS ring ID is such that there is about 3/8" of PVC flange face exposed for wax to seal over both.

seal between them as well.
just get an extra wax ring and smear a thin coat onto the plastic, then set the stainless onto that.
use an extra brass nut and washer to secure the 'sandwich' together.

Thanks Packy. Great tip on using wax between the two. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will.

Edited 1 times.

make 100% sure the bolts and nuts are solid brass.

Author: hj (AZ)

Your bolts would still be fastened to the plastic flange FIRST, so it is not an improvement and definitely not bulletproof. Start with a flange that HAS a stainless steel flange.

that is why I suggested metal flange on the bottom.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.