Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gas water heater living on borrowed time?
Author: sum (FL)

I have a gas water heater made by State Industries. I am not sure how old since I bought this property earlier this year. Looking at the sticker I am guessing 2003?

It's working fine, not leaking, but the top inlets and outlets are badly corroded.

Replace the corroded parts or just replace the whole water heater?

How much time do I have? None, weeks, months?

Re: Gas water heater living on borrowed time?
Author: Palm329 (VA)

What’s that 1998 above the 2003 date?

Author: steve (CA)

The heater meets the standards set under the 1998 version of ANSI Z.21.10.1.

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

16 years old? yeah... it's living on borrowed time and that rust concerns me in case it starts leaking from there; what's the AVERAGE these days?? maybe 10-14? although mine at home is from 1997 and my mom's from early 1980's.

keep in mind if it's a rental it will go at the worst possible time, like when its 27 degrees below zero and it's spraying out from the top and you have to shut it down overnight cause its flooding the boiler room and the sump pump is dumping it outside causing an ice skating ring in the parking lot and you are forced to have it changed in the bitter cold immediately. dont ask how i know smiling smiley

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, it is from 2003.
I would not trash it because of the corrosion on top.
that is caused by the flexible connectors weeping over the years and they have sealed themselves shut.
if you are not getting any rusty water and the combustion chamber is not full of rust particles, I would just keep it.

Author: hj (AZ)

the J03 in the serial number means Sept. 2003.

Author: srloren (CA)

I would definitely replace it with a new WH and do not use those short nipples on your existing WH or the nipples that might come with the new WH BUT use Brass nipples 3/4" x 6" long to prevent electrolisis. Good luck

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Brass nipples into a carbon steel tank will NOT prevent electrolysis, merely hide it INSIDE the insulation where it does not show.

hence: dielectric nipples

however:

stainless steel nipples will work PERFECTLY (albeit expensive)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: srloren (CA)

Bern as usual, i believe you are correct. But you do recommend replacement of the WH, right?

Author: hj (AZ)

Dielectric nipples are "cosmetic" and too "short" so they seldom prevent electrolysis. In fact they are often the source of rust in the hot water system. Brass nipples AND brass valves separate copper and steel to minimize, or eliminate, electrolysis. IF they did not work, then you would have to use "stainless steel" valves everywhere the two metals interfaced.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

hj, with respect, the VAST MAJORITY of 'brass valves' are ACTUALLY a bronze alloy specifically designed to prevent electrolysis between steel and brass or copper

we all merely CALL them 'brass valves'

whether it is the steel nipple into the brass fitting, or the other way around, electrolysis WILL occur

however, with s/s : brass/copper the RATE of electrolysis is virtually ZERO

grinning smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: NoHub (MA)

I think we are still all on the same page. Lose those Dielectric nipples that come with the water heaters. My supply house takes your old WH if you buy one from them,a guy picks them up every few weeks for scrap.I like to walk through that area every once in a while and take note of the age's of the heaters and it would not take Madlock to figure out the units with Dielectric nipples last 6-9 years...with Brass nipples 15 to 20 years.Oh yeah...Brass nipples dont blow off in the middle of the night do to corrosion.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

I will try this next time I change out my water heater... never knew about this...

Are these just any old 3/4” npt thread pipes? Thanks

Edited 2 times.

"Are these just any old 3/4” ntp thread pipes?"

yes they are..

Author: sum (FL)

So there is no imminent danger?

This is not a rental, but a new home I plan to move into once I get some projects done in framing, plumbing and electrical. May be summer of 2020. For this reason there are times I do not go there for 3-4 days. May be I will shut-off the inlet valve to the WH just in case since I don't even use hot water.

This is a gas WH and I don't mess with gas plumbing and fixtures so I will hire someone to replace it. Perhaps I can wait till just before occupancy?

Some WH last for a long time. In 2017 I replaced three Rudd water heaters at an apartment building. All if them were installed in 1980, so lasted 37 years. There was nothing wrong with them other than me not wanting to wait till they break so each time a tenant moved out I replaced the WH. Today's model I am told if last 8-10 years I am lucky.

sum, there is a saying "never say never".

but in all my years, I nave never seen a water heater simply explode and flood the place.

they (in my experience) always start as a slow leak and get progressively worse.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.